• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

JVM1740SP2SS - Recirculates and top exhaust?

qqcarmen

Premium Member
Model Number
JVM1740SP2SS
Brand
GE
Hi all,

I have a GE Microwave installed above our range. Our cabinets are always greasy, we wipe and clean them every other weak but it seems like they are always covered in a film of grease. I dismantled as much of the microwave as I could and washed out the greasy parts (there were a lot!) and thought a deep cleaning would fix the issue. Two weeks later and there is grease everywhere, dripping from the bottom and inside the microwave.

I checked to see if our duct is working. When the exhaust fan is on, I can go outside and see the outdoor covers flapping so I believe it is circulating the air outside, however above the microwave there is the recirculating fan, and when I put my hand on it, I can feel air blowing at me too. I wonder if it is wrongly configured and also recirculating the air? Does anyone know if this if possible before I take it apart and investigate?

Side note: Would it be hard to install a stronger range hood (not microwave) given my current setup?