• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

FIXED JVM7195EF1ES Door latch problem, Will this be dangerous?

jformsma

Premium Member
Model Number
JVM7195EF1ES
Brand
GE
This is a problem with a door latch and not anything in the electronic stuff. First thing to admit is that I do not know the theory of microwave ovens very well. However, with mine, the problem is only with the holder that holds the spring that controls the latch. It was made of plastic, and the plastic broke. The plastic spring holder was formed as part of the whole piece that goes around the door.

Rather than ordering a new door or other expensive piece, I fashioned a metal piece from junk aluminum to secure the spring, and then used CA glue and accelerator to glue it in place. It is secure. Question is this: will that metal piece cause any problems with the microwaves "leaking out"? I don't think it will, but I noticed there is no other metal piece outside the large metal piece that I assume is part the shield for the RF. ????

Look at the pictures attached.

Probably freaking out over nothing, but want to make sure I won't fry my kids' eyeballs. ;)

Thanks much!

Attachments

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Rather than ordering a new door or other expensive piece, I fashioned a metal piece from junk aluminum to secure the spring, and then used CA glue and accelerator to glue it in place.
I usually just drill a small hole in the metal from beside where the old holder was and hook the spring into my new hole.
I am not sure adding metal and glue was such a good idea but it shouldn't prevent your kids from giving you grand-kids.

jeff.

jformsma

Premium Member
Thanks. Your way would have been a bit better. Wish I had thought of that first :)

The door latches fine now, and operation is normal so far.

Hopefully we will all be normal (even though normality is something I have never quite achieved.)

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
even though normality is something I have never quite achieved.
LOL!

jeff.