KA electric oven broil, bake elements don't heat

ScottA

Premium Member
Model Number
KERC700LBL0
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi, and thanks in advance for all the help you provide. I could not find help for a similar sort of problem in the Kitchenaid forum, so I'll post a new item.

This slide-in range has power, and the stove-top works fine. For no apparent reason, however, the oven stopped working recently. I had turned it on; it started to heat, but then stopped heating, and now neither the bake element nor the broiler elements will heat at all.

When we turn on the oven, the digital LED panel indicates that the oven turns on, and there is a faint sound of something happening (perhaps a capacitor charging or a relay activating, but not a "click" but something more buzz like). The temperature indicator then shows "Lo", but then never changes.

I checked the oven temperature sensor for continuity, and it does have continuity. I check the voltage going to the bake element, and it shows no voltage going to the element.

I'm guessing it is the control board, and so will replace that if needed. But if there is anything else to check first so as to avoid having to buy one of those, I'd be grateful to hear what else I should try first.

Thanks again,

Scott

ScottA

Premium Member
one added note

I might add, I have no good way to distinguish between the difficulty being with the control/display board or in the relay board. The control/display board has long had the problem that the LED display is much dimmer than it is supposed to be, but this has not otherwise affected its functionality. So I'd be grateful for guidance with respect to whether it is more likely to be the control/display board or the relay board.

Scott

ScottA

Premium Member
Problem found, I think.

I believe the problem is in neither the control/display board, nor the power board. It seems that there is a relay unit, part number 9755194, that sends voltage to both broiler and bake elements. When I tested for continuity across the coil of the relay unit, it does not have continuity there. So I believe that shows the relay to be burnt out. I'm curious whether that seems to be a likely diagnosis. I'm pleased, at the least, that if that's what is wrong, it is a considerably cheaper part to replace than the other two mentioned.

Thanks again, in advance, for any assistance you might be able to provide.