• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KAWE679BBL1 KitchenAid washer suddenly stops/jams

tab a

Premium Member
Model Number
KAWE679BBL1
Brand
KitchenAid
Recently bought this old washer, which looked like it was in great shape. First time I used it, suspension spring broke. Fixed that.

Since then it abruptly stops while either agitating (or spinning, I think). Agitation starts normally but after a few seconds I hear a ratcheting sound followed by agitation stopping, and the motor humming. At that point I am UNABLE TO MOVE the agitator in the tub, by hand. The ratcheting I would say is louder than a 'clicking' and softer than a 'clunking'. :) Several times I've let it stand for a while, and I can then restart it, only to repeat the process. I think I moved the dial to spin once, and found the same thing. Most recently it wouldn't restart at all, but just continued to have the motor humming.

I've pulled the gear case/drive shaft. Motor coupler is ok. Clutch seems ok. Motor runs disconnected from gear case. Pump turns by hand, reasonably easily.

The drive shaft seems fairly 'wobbly' in the gear case, which I haven't seen in any videos I've watched. Don't know how normal/abnormal this is. I'm thinking MAYBE the problem is the plastic couplers on the drive shaft in the gear case, as this is the only thing I've found online that seems even close to my problem.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, it sounds like the transmission has gone bad.

Here's the transmission(gearcase) for your model:
Transmission 3360629

Video included in part link.

You can actually do what this guy did and remove the transmission and leave the motor connected to it to verify its doing the same as his:

Jake

tab a

Premium Member
Thanks for your reply. What I don't understand is why it would 'lock up' but then release with some time? My initial thought was some kind of expansion from heat, then contraction when cooled off, but I can't make that fit the transmission.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have no clue what your talking about.

Just do what I said to do above and let us know what happens.:)

Jake