• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)
  • Important Announcement

It's with sad news to announce that our site owner, Jake, has passed away. You can read the details here.

KBFS20ETSS00 KitchenAid Refrigerator stopped cooling, worked again after a power cycle.

hillridge

Premium Member
Model Number
KBFS20ETSS00
Brand
KitchenAid
Yesterday, our fridge and freezer warmed up. I let it run overnight since my wife initially told me that "the freezer got left open" instead of "the fridge and freezer are warm and I'm guessing the freezer got left open despite not finding it open", and I thought it had just warmed up from taking on ambient air. This morning it was at more or less room temps in both compartments.

I unplugged it, took the panel off the bottom of the back, and plugged it back in. No obvious signs of trouble - No iced coils, the fan is blowing, and the compressor seems to be running. When I first unplugged it the compressor tank was hot (~120°F).

Since plugging it back in, it has cooled the freezer back to 0°F and the fridge to 38°F in a normal amount of time.

I don't want to restock it until I replace whatever part is near failure. Any suggestions on where to start? It's roughly 16 years old.

There is a condenser fan motor next to the compressor, is that running?

Has the compressor cooled down now?

Looking at the fridge from the back, the fan to the left of the compressor runs when the compressor runs.

It was on just now when I checked, and the tank read 115°F. Interior temps are still showing 0°/38°.

I'll check again once it cycles off.

The condenser coils were filthy, absolutely packed with dust. I know that wasn't helping anything, but it also shouldn't make it fail completely out of the blue, right?

The condenser coils were filthy, absolutely packed with dust. I know that wasn't helping anything, but it also shouldn't make it fail completely out of the blue, right?
It can make the compressor overheat and shut down, thus no cooling.

If it stops cooling again, see if you notice if the compressor and fans are running or if the refrigerator is dead silent.

(going from memory) I think the fan was running before I power cycled the fridge. Not sure on the compressor.
It's still working this morning. I'm guessing this may be the kind of issue that goes away for a while then starts to come back more frequently as whatever is failing gets worse.

I'm guessing this may be the kind of issue that goes away for a while then starts to come back more frequently as whatever is failing gets worse.
Yes, I agree, just keep a eye on it for awhile to see how it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Support Our Site

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation, please consider making a donation.

Back