• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KBFS20EVBL8 Ice and Water Not Dispensing

samsquamch

Premium Member
Model Number
KBFS20EVBL
Brand
KitchenAid
I'd like to first say thank you for all of the information on this site - It has helped me fix several appliance problems without ever having to post. I can't seem to find a scenario like the one I'm currently experiencing though.

Right after I had the compressor replaced, under warranty and done by a repairman, I noticed that the water dispenser (the type inside the cabinet on the left hand side with one button) stopped working. The ice maker seemed to carry on for a short time, though making more and more pathetic ice cubes, and then quit working as well. I replaced the filter and still no water would dispense - I have been sure to run the dispenser in excess of 2 minutes to attempt to purge the air. Some basic tests indicated that the solenoids in the bottom rear are functioning and that water being sent to the filter head unit, this was confirmed by the fact that the filter fills with water. I then installed the bypass cap, again no water will dispense. I am able to remove the bypass cap and press on one of the small, black, star shaped 'valves' on the filter head that are depressed by the filter or bypass cap when installed and water squirts out.

So it would seem to me that water is making it to the filter head but not out to the dispenser or ice maker for some reason. I don't know if there is anything but tubing between the head unit output and the dispenser and ice maker. It wouldn't seem like there is much to go wrong past that.

I don't think this has anything to do with frozen lines as it behaved this way after having it unplugged for some time because of the faulty compressor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Right after I had the compressor replaced, under warranty and done by a repairman, I noticed that the water dispenser (the type inside the cabinet on the left hand side with one button) stopped working. The ice maker seemed to carry on for a short time, though making more and more pathetic ice cubes, and then quit working as well.
This will sound very simple, but I think I know what the problem is from your statement, When a compressor has to be repaced the tech has to pull the refrigerator out from the wall do that job, and he has to turn the WATER SUPPLY OFF and remove the water line to the water inlet valve.

So what I'm thinking is when he was done he hooked your water supply line back to the water inlet valve, but FORGOT to TURN THE WATER BACK ON.:)

So, that would be the first thing I would check.:)

Jake

samsquamch

Premium Member
Hi Jake, thanks for the reply! I haven't been able to work on this for a long time but I'm back at it now. The water is definitely on.

I think this part in italics is important as it shows I'm getting water to the filter head:

Some basic tests indicated that the solenoids in the bottom rear are functioning and that water being sent to the filter head unit, this was confirmed by the fact that the filter fills with water. I then installed the bypass cap, again no water will dispense. I am able to remove the bypass cap and press on one of the small, black, star shaped 'valves' on the filter head that are depressed by the filter or bypass cap when installed and water squirts out.

So it would seem to me that water is making it to the filter head but not out to the dispenser or ice maker for some reason. I don't know if there is anything but tubing between the head unit output and the dispenser and ice maker. It wouldn't seem like there is much to go wrong past that.

I am definitely getting water to the place where the filter attaches but no water is making it to the water dispenser or the ice maker with the bypass or with a filter in place.

Thanks for any help! I'm really puzzled.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

samsquamch

Premium Member
Ok, I'll give that a go. Thanks!!

What tends to go wrong with such a simple part? Are there valves or something inside to get stuck?

Thanks again!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, keep us posted.

Yes, the valve in it can give out.

Lots of other members have had this happen, and I've replaced many on my service calls, not just this one, but on other brands like Frigidaire and GE too.

Jake

samsquamch

Premium Member
Well, 2 years later and I finally got around to buying and replacing the filter head. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work. The new filter head is getting water to it too (tested by depressing one of the little black valves where the filter screws on and water squirts out) so seemingly, nothing has changed.

Since we haven't used ice/water for the past 2 years, is it possible that it is now something simple like a frozen line. In other words, the filter head was a problem but now I can't tell it is fixed because the lines froze from lack of use? Just a wild theory.

Thank you for any help you can provide, I'm very motivated to get this working again!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Welcome back,

Yes, there is a water tank in the refrigerator section behind the lower crispers, that may be frozen up, use a hair dryer to unfreeze it.

Jake

samsquamch

Premium Member
That was it! Thanks!!

Didn't take much with the hair dryer - couple minutes on medium heat, always keeping it moving, 3-4 inches away from any surface. Tested the water and out it came.

Thanks again, Jake. Much appreciated!

samsquamch

Premium Member
Still no ice coming out. It looks like the bar is going up and down as though it is cycling, but not doing anything. I don't hear it filling up either. Could the long term ice up have damaged something? Is there someplace additional I should direct my wife's hair dryer? Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That was it! Thanks!!

Didn't take much with the hair dryer - couple minutes on medium heat, always keeping it moving, 3-4 inches away from any surface. Tested the water and out it came.

Thanks again, Jake. Much appreciated!

Fantastic! Good job.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Still no ice coming out. It looks like the bar is going up and down as though it is cycling, but not doing anything. I don't hear it filling up either. Could the long term ice up have damaged something? Is there someplace additional I should direct my wife's hair dryer? Thanks!

I need your complete model number first.

Should be one of these below:

KBFS20EVBL00
KBFS20EVBL1
KBFS20EVBL2
KBFS20EVBL3
KBFS20EVBL4
KBFS20EVBL5
KBFS20EVBL6
KBFS20EVBL8

The model number tag is inside the refrigerator section on the upper walls or ceiling.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

Ok, did you first check the fill tube where it comes into the ice maker? That may be clogged with ice.

If that's fine, You can jump the L & V on the module and that will send 120 volts to your water inlet valve and see if water comes out from your fill tube in the back of your ice maker. Just make a jumper wire.
OR
If you want to test the water inlet valve alone, the water inlet valve is in the back of your refrigerator where your water supply line hooks up to it.

Cheater test cord:
Test Cord - 110 Volt With Alligator Clips

or you can probably get a cheater cord like this at any hardware store in your area if you don't want to wait on ordering it, or use a old lamp cord.

Jeff has a good section on this here: http://www.applianceaid.com/icemaker-valvetest.html

jptl also shows you how he did it: Testing ice maker water supply at the solenoid

Report back what you find.:)

Here's the water inlet valve for your model if yours is bad:
WPW10420083 Valve

Jake

samsquamch

Premium Member
Thanks Jake!

Water inlet didn't appear to be blocked so I jumped L to V. Nothing. Took the module out and had a look inside:

Image Links:

Module

Closeup

Not sure what that connection is, but something seems to have gone wrong and burned it up.

I assume the best idea is a new module? Any idea what happened? Something related to the line being frozen while the icemaker was on?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Ice Make Module.jpg
    Ice Make Module.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 90

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yikes, I see that.

That's very odd, I don't know what could of caused it to burn up there at that spot in the module.

You'll need to order and replace the complete ice maker, the module is not available as a separate part.

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order:
W10884390 Icemaker

Jake