• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KBFS25EVMS0 KitchenAid Refrigerator - Clicking Sound and Freezer Warming Up

BK100

Premium Member
Model Number
KBFS25EVMS0
Brand
KitchenAid
I noticed a few weeks ago that my fridge began to make a clicking sound followed by a second click about 30 seconds later. It sounded like the first click would turn on the compressor and the second would turn it off but I'm not sure and it doesn't always sound like the compressor is turning on/off.

During this time cold air would continue to circulate in the freezer. This would last sometimes for over an hour (with the 2 clicks every 5-10 minutes) with the freezer temp creeping up to 6. The fridge temp would rarely change. After the clicking stops the freezer would return to zero.

I cleaned the coils at the bottom as there was quite a bit of hairballs. I haven't pulled the fridge out to check the back, but before doing so where would you suggest I look first? I have the tech sheet for the fridge so can perform needed tests as well.

Thanks,

BK

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'd first check the compressor start relay.

Here is the guide with photos of how to access/replace it: FIXED How to replace a - Whirlpool/Kenmore Model 106 - Refrigerator Start Relay

Make sure your refrigerator is unplugged from the wall before removing it, after you remove it shake it, if it rattles inside its bad.

If it doesn't rattle, then you use a multimeter to ohm test it for continuity, normal would be 3-12 ohms.

See the photo below of it? You put your 2 meter probes in both parallel holes at the same time and see what your meter reads. Keep the refrigerator unplugged when ohm testing it.:)

Here's the compressor start relay device for your model you can order if needed:
Start Device WPW10197428

Here's the capacitor for your model too:
Compressor run capacitor

Jake

BK100

Premium Member
Yep, that was it. It didn't rattle when I checked it and it didn't show any ohms so I ran the compressor service test and could distinctly hear the clicking. I bought the relay and the capacitor for it (just so I wouldn't have to order twice in case he capacitor was bad) and after installing it have not heard any clicking for a few weeks. The fridge now maintains the perfect temp.

Thanks for the help! BK

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent BK, glad to hear the new compressor start relay device and capacitor fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake