• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KBSN608ESS01 KitchenAid refrigerator LED lights not working.

PatM123

Premium Member
Model Number
KBSN608ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
Model KBSN608ESS01. Purchased our built in KitchenAid refrigerator about 1 1/2 years ago. After 1 year the lights stopped working on both the freezer and fridge. Called KitchenAid and they sent out a tech. He replaced one light on both sides. 6 months later(the present), freezer lights all work but only 1 light on fridge side works. I saw a forum and Jake a staff member gave some excellent advice. Not sure how to contact him. He mentioned that there is some sort of LED control board. I believe this is the problem. I can't see the bulbs being the problem. Wondering if he or anyone else can help me troubleshoot the problem.
The light assembly is not easy to remove. The tech that came had difficulty removing them. If I test the bulbs, how would I do that? If it is something on the control board, how do I test that?
I'm located in Canada.
Thanks
Pat

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Tech Sheet.

Attachments

• KBSN608ESS01 Tech Sheet - W10910737.pdf
    497.5 KB · Views: 106
  • KBSN608ESS01 Wiring-Sheet-W10763000-Rev A.pdf
    564.8 KB · Views: 69

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks bigbuck!

Ok Pat,

These LED modules run in series like the old Christmas Tree lights of the 1970's, if one is bad none will come on.:)

So all the refrigerator side LED modules use the same modules, so take one out of the side and put it on the top and see if all the refrigerator lights come on.

Here's the refrigerator side LED modules:
LED Light W10908166

Jake

PatM123

Premium Member
Thanks Bigbuck and Jake. Should I order 1 or 2 LED lights and where do I start--can you guide me how to trouble shoot the lights? Only one light goes on on fridge side, top one on the left side when you face the fridge. Best way to remove them? Had a tech in to change one out in the summer and even he had a tough time removing them. The freezer is fine. Bigbuck gave the schematics for the wiring but I'm not going to even touch the control board but thanks to bigbuck, I now know that there may need to be testing at the J3 junction which is useful if I need a tech to test it out. I assume that if this happens a third time I should have a tech test the control board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

PatM123

Premium Member
The fridge side has 7 lights, 3 on each side and one on the top. The top one on the left side is the only one that goes on. Should I start with the one below this one or the one at the very top?

Attachments

• LED.jpeg
    LED.jpeg
    344.1 KB · Views: 52

PatM123

Premium Member
I was thinking about the Christmas lights scenario. I'm assuming the light that works is the first in the sequence but which one is second? I just wanted to minimize the number of lights I need to remove.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The wiring diagram does not tell us the order.

Switch the very top one with that good working one.:)

Jake

PatM123

Premium Member
I tried what you said and again only the one light goes on. I tested all the lights on that spot that works and all lights work only on that spot. So the problem is not with the lights. I think it is the control board. Can you tell me again what section of the control board controls the LED lights for the fridge.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, Look at the tech. data sheet that bigbuck posted above.

--->Lighting control board/LEDs internal lights

Here's the LED control board for your model:
Control Board W10830288

Watch this video below, it shows you which it is:

Jake

PatM123

Premium Member
For my model, there is a section above the unit where the compressor/motor and on/off switch are all located. It is covered by a stainless steel removable panel that is the same width of the fridge/freezer (8"' x 36"). I removed it and sent photos. Where exactly is the control panel for my model?

Attachments

• 93B46891-D1B8-4BD7-8B47-2720F2D2F304.jpeg
    93B46891-D1B8-4BD7-8B47-2720F2D2F304.jpeg
    20.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 7E6B37D4-2CCE-41FF-BF4C-DAF3EC7E2C76.jpeg
    7E6B37D4-2CCE-41FF-BF4C-DAF3EC7E2C76.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 948DFAF9-EA80-4165-9DCD-7FD15674C38E.jpeg
    948DFAF9-EA80-4165-9DCD-7FD15674C38E.jpeg
    17.3 KB · Views: 30

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have no clue Pat, this is a model I've never seen before here in Arizona. I forgot you said it was built-in, so that video won't apply to your model.

Hopefully another tech that's worked on this model can shed some light on it.

Jake

PatM123

Premium Member
Would you be able to contact Bigbuck or another admin member? I know he sent the tech sheets. Hoping the board is similar to the video you sent. The last tech that came changed a light and it solved the issue but all lights went on when I plugged them into the spot where one light goes on. Is there a Whirlpool/KitchenAid tech support number?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
On built-in models the control boards should be on top, from your photo its likely behind that metal panel.

Only the authorized KitchenAid tech has the tech support number to the factory.

Its best to have that KitchenAid tech. come back out to see what's going on since its still so new.

Jake

PatM123

Premium Member
With all the Covid precautions, I was finally able to get a technician in to look at the lights. The fridge lights initially weren't working except for the light that you can see in the photo below.
95995D46-5CD1-4869-9F56-3C711896B03C.jpeg

I ordered new bulbs and replaced each one in the circuit path and no luck. I tested all the bulbs in the spot that you see in the photo--all the bulbs work so its not the bulbs. Jake said it could be the circuit board. Tech came in and didn't think that it would be the board that it was more likely a bulb. When he came in, now the freezer side was dim and the fridge was completely out. In my photos, you can see the one light on the fridge that is now working. He replaced the bulb on the FREEZER side (same bulb position as the fridge side) and the freezer now works and the one bulb on the fridge side works
C093804B-0A31-45B1-83AE-098727F5EBE9.jpeg
But he noticed a cut in the covering of the wires to the light just below the one that works. He believes that this could be the problem and that possibly a short could be causing this. But why did the freezer side go dim as well. The wire is not severed. He said he tested the board but is it possible that it may still be faulty? He said that there was no error message for the board.
The cut on the black wire is very close to the opening and there is no play room to cut and reattach some wire.
CA2E5CAB-34C1-4259-8427-0B973F9586ED (1).jpeg
4F89E0F8-70D1-4ADB-852D-CBF3211FBDB8.jpeg
6E24C680-A37C-4109-AF88-B10CA9BDE0A8.jpeg

He was suggesting that the area next to the light be cut out to access the wire and possibly repair it. I'm stumped. Is there a way to test continuity past the cut to see if the plug part is receiving voltage? And again why did the freezer side go as well. The freezer was fine up until a couple days before the tech came to my home. The first time this happened it was still under warranty, both sides went down but the tech fixed it with bulb changes. Get another company in to test it?
Thanks
Pat

Attachments

• CA2E5CAB-34C1-4259-8427-0B973F9586ED.jpeg
    CA2E5CAB-34C1-4259-8427-0B973F9586ED.jpeg
    14.7 KB · Views: 12

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, the tech. data sheet says this--->Lights partially not turning on when doors are opened: - All the 5 FC(FREEZER SIDE) lights and 1 of the RC(REFRIGERATOR SIDE) lights remain off when door is opened; - 6 out of 7 RC lights works as expected (turn on when door is opened and turns off when door is closed).
Possible cause: LED module malfunction Possible cause:
(1) Misconnection on the J3 connector
(2) One of the LEDs that are not turning on is malfunctioning.

In the tech data sheet page 4--->LED Control Section
Measure voltage across J1-1 (14V) and J1-4 (GND) on Lighting control board. If voltage is present, go to the next step. If voltage is not present, look for misconnections between the lighting control board and the Main Control Board on the wires connected to pins J1-1 and J1-4 in the lighting control board.
Check continuity from the pin J1-3 in lighting control board and the pin J9-2 in Main Control Board. If there is continuity, go to the next step. If there is no continuity between the referred pins, look for misconnections on these pins.
Open the product doors and check voltage across J3-1 (LED Out 1 +) and J3-2 (LED Out 1 -). Open the product doors and check voltage across J3-3 (LED Out 2 +) and J3-4 (LED Out 2 -).
--->If voltage is less than 15 volts in any of the pins pair, replace lighting control board.
--->If voltage is greater than 15 volts, troubleshoot the LED lights.

Those are the connections to test, yes that bad cut wire could of caused the LED board to short out. That bad cut wire needs to be repaired before you check for voltage.

Was the repair person that came out from a KitchenAid authorized service center? If so, he/she needs to come back and finish repairing it.

Jake

PatM123

Premium Member
Whirlpool sent this person out so they must be authorized.
I can't say for certain what he measured on the control board. I just thought he could ck if any voltage at the pins inside the fridge could be measured. He said that the cut could short it but I didn't know at the time if I should be asking about continuity. I don't think he measured that inside the fridge side. He did take the panel off above the fridge but all he said was that there was no error message. I really don't think he had the tech data sheet because how would he be able to remember which pins to test.
If the boards are OK, how does one repair the wire? There's no room to do anything? This last tech mentioned cutting out a section to access it??? The wire is not damaged--only the plastic covering is cut. But I understand that continuity may have been affected it. The problem started within the first year of purchase and the problem has repeated. This 2nd tech told me that possibly that cut was present from the time of manufacturing or that the first tech that came may have damaged it. I suspect that its the board and that the connector inside the fridge is OK. I will call Whirlpool and discuss this and probably ask for another dealer to come and test it. Could someone address the questions I have in this post.
Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Well he didn't finish the job and needs to come back out.

If the boards are OK, how does one repair the wire There's no room to do anything?
That I don't know. When the tech gets back to your house have him call the KitchenAid Factory Tech. Line and they will tell him what to do.

Jake

PatM123

Premium Member
Hi Jake
The tech tested the circuit boards and there is proper voltage from main to LED board and there is proper voltage leaving the LED board but no voltage inside fridge where the LED bulbs plug in. He tested the pins as you had sent from the manual. He suspects there is a short somewhere with the wiring inside the fridge which is impossible to fix.
I know you sent the manual page to test it and that is what he used because he couldn’t get through to tech support for help. The freezer side works but only one in the fridge side goes on. He said that one circuit covers all of freezer and one on fridge side. The second circuit, which is faulty doesn’t light up. The lights were off on FREEZER side though twice in the past but changing a bulb fixed it. Are the Steps you gave to ck when freezer works and only one bulb on fridge side works?
Can I purchase the LED board and replace it myself? Looks like it basically has plug connections. Doesn’t look like it would be difficult to change.