• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KCMS1555SSS2 Kitchenaid Microwave bottom door switch wire burnt

Vail67

Premium Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2020
Messages
2
Location
Chicago
Model Number
KCMS1555SSS2
Brand
KitchenAid
Age
6-10 years
Hi all,

My Kitchenaid Microwave (KCMS1555SSS2) went out after I steamed something--lights still on, countdown timer works, but no sound/heat/turntable movement when I try to microwave something. From research it looked like one of my lower door switches had an issue. I opened the microwave and indeed, that switch appears a little burnt along with one of the connecting wires. I already bought the replacement switch but I am wondering what to do about the wire? I am not even sure what the plastic tab connector is called. If anyone could walk me through what I am supposed to do I would really appreciate it! Here's a pic of the issue and then one pic showing the bad wire with one of the wires that doesn't have an issue.


IMG_3348.jpg




IMG_3350.jpg



Thank you so much!!
 

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Joined
Oct 9, 2004
Messages
2,934
Location
Canada
The plastic terminal cover isn't absolutely necessary. It is just an insulator to try to prevent contact with other metal surfaces.

Cut the connector off the wire and install a regular female spade terminal in place of it.

BTW. Installing a connector like that back onto a new switch would usually damage the new switch in a short time. When a connector gets heated like that, both terminal and the component it was attached onto should both be replaced together.

Dan O.
 

Vail67

Premium Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2020
Messages
2
Location
Chicago
The plastic terminal cover isn't absolutely necessary. It is just an insulator to try to prevent contact with other metal surfaces.

Cut the connector off the wire and install a regular female spade terminal in place of it.

BTW. Installing a connector like that back onto a new switch would usually damage the new switch in a short time. When a connector gets heated like that, both terminal and the component it was attached onto should both be replaced together.

Dan O.
Thank you!! You think this would work? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-El...ct-Fully-Insulated-Nylon-EB0280-000/202204295
 

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Joined
Oct 9, 2004
Messages
2,934
Location
Canada
Those look like they'd be fine. Make sure they're attached securely onto a non-affected portion of wire.



Dan O.
 
Top