• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KCMS1655BSS Microwave doesn't start even though count down keeps working

jindal_tribals

Premium Member
Model Number
KCMS1655BSS
Brand
KitchenAid
This 4 year old microwave suddenly stopped heating. Now when I start it, the timer/count down starts (there are also two clicks in the beginning) and then nothing happens. No noise, no turn table, no heating. There are no errors on the display and the microwave goes thru the full timer and behaves as if everything is fine. Any ideas what's could be wrong.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

jindal_tribals

Premium Member
The full model number is KCMS1655BSS. My use and care manual skipped the last three letters and I think they just denote the color (black with stainless steel).

Is there a repair manual for this model? I couldn't find it online, but other microwaves seem to have one like this: manualslib.com/manual/880594/Kitchenaid-Kbms1454r.html

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
My use and care manual skipped the last three letters
The only place for the model # is on the unit itself!....manuals, bill of sale, energy guides just have part of the model#.

I think they just denote the color
Last 2 do, third from the last changes when the production makes a change with a different part(s).

Is there a repair manual for this model?
LOL, nope....there is not even repairs parts for counter top models.

We usually have to pick something like general replacement door switches, fuses, ect.

Door-Switch-QSWMA085WRE0-04611586.jpg Microwave door switch, normally open two terminals

jeff.

jindal_tribals

Premium Member
LOL, nope....there is not even repairs parts for counter top models.

We usually have to pick something like general replacement door switches, fuses, ect.
jeff.
Aargh! sad :( We use this as a built in model as it comes with trim kits. Anyway, I was able to find the issue. The upper door switch wasn't working. I found it really hard to take the wires off the switch, so I opened the switch to see what is going on. After fiddling with a spring part I was able to make the switch work again. Though I did manage to break a plastic tab while installing the switch back :( The switch still seems to be held in place by other supporting tabs. For now it is working, but I will keep a new switch handy if it goes bad again. I guess, there is no way to buy the plastic part that holds all the switches. It is pretty big and looks pretty specialized to the size of the microwave.