• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KDFE104DSS2 KitchenAid Dishwasher Error Code 7-1 Heating Element is Fine Though

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACardAttack

Premium Member
Model Number
KDFE104DSS2
Brand
KitchenAid
So I think I need to replace the control board.

Dishwasher will fill up with water, but it doesnt really do anything with it, does pump it out eventually, dry, etc. Detergent is still in there.

Did a diagnostic and I get error code 7-1 for heating element

I checked it with a multimeter and it is fine.

After being unplug for awhile, like days, I found the post about the clean light flashing up top, I tried something similar to that as I didnt have the same buttons, no lights or anything, but when I connected power, no error codes. It ran for about 4 cycles no problem, didnt seem to clean quite as well sometimes, but mostly good.

Then I got error code 7-1 again. So Broke, magically started working again, then broke again.

It isn't the heating element, so it has to be the control board right? They look pretty easy to replace.

I know its still under warranty for the ECB, but only for the part, service and installation I'd have to pay and it would probably be cheaper for me to just replace it.

Anything else it could be? Any idea why it started working again for no reason and then stop again?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Lets first run the SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS CYCLE, and let it run all the way through to reset it back to default.

Entry sequence: Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses. NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”
The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

--->Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last run information from memory and restores defaults. It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

LET IT RUN ALL THE WAY THROUGH: Service diagnostic cycle will take about 23 minutes.

Do that now, and report back.:)

Jake

ACardAttack

Premium Member
Did that, and once it ran all the way through, I tried to run diagnostic again and I got same error code, 7-1.

It did go all the way through, water came in, out, there was steam when it was done.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So the heater is working. Good.

Dishwasher will fill up with water, but it doesnt really do anything with it, does pump it out eventually, dry, etc. Detergent is still in there.
It's usually the wash motor, this has become a common problem as of late, many members here have reported the same. In fact I had 2 in Sept. 2018 in Parker, Arizona that did the exact same thing, and the new wash motor fixed them both.:)

Look at post #7 here:

I'd first check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle. His Kenmore 665 is made by Whirlpool, and uses the exact same wash motor yours does.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use your multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing, if so and it's not running order the wash motor below.

Here is the wash motor assembly you can order:
W11032770 Motor-Pump

Here's the video to replace it:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Because the water has to pass(get sprayed) over the heating element to heat the water. Since the wash motor isn't running the water can't get sprayed over the heating element to heat the water, thus error code 7-1 comes up as not heating the water.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help, yes keep us posted.:)

Jake

ACardAttack

Premium Member
I am now even more lost, I seem to have "fixed" it again, but this time I kind of know what I did, but I dont know if that is the fix

I followed a video about checking for error codes and checking to see if the wash motor was getting voltage, what I never did before was hit the high temperature button to erase the error codes, well I hit that button and then I heard the wash motor kick on, I was confused as I had not really heard this during a test cycle.

I cancel the test cycle, run diagnostic, no error codes and I hear the motor like it used to.

So could this have been it just needed to be reset? The first time it started working I tried to do what the stickied Clean flashing 7 times post said to do, but there wasnt the same buttons and I had no indication that I did anything correctly. But it worked. (It was also unplugged for awhile, like days).

The only thing that I can think of that happened from the first time I "fixed" it, and then it stopped working again and giving error codes was my wife opened it up mid cycle to get something out of there and then continued the cycle from there. After that, it no longer worked again and started giving me that error code.

So do you think it's some glitch that wasnt fully cleared out? Does opening mid cycle lead to a chance for something like this to happen? A control board that is on the fitz? A motor pump that is on its last legs and can work once in a while?

I'm at a lost, I can clearly hear it now running through the diagnostic cycle and I have no idea.

Thank you!

Removed video

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I removed that video, because it was confusing me too.

Just do it the way I mentioned and you will see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be running.

Jake

ACardAttack

Premium Member
But it is now working. I cleared the error codes according to that video and ran a full diagnostic cycle and everything now is working, no error codes, I can hear the wash motor, I can tell it heated up in there, etc.

So I know the wash motor is working now. Im only hesitant about that I've "fixed" it because the last time it started working again (no official error code reset, but only being unplugged for a long time), after a few cycles the old issues came back.

I liked the video's way because I didn't have to take the dishwasher out yet to check, but either way, the dishwasher seems to be fixed

So I dont know if the error codes just needed to be reset or something is slowly dying in there and it can be cleared/fixed temporarily before the error pops up again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that usually indicates the wash motor is intermittently working, then not working again.

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below, it shows you how to clear the customer error codes in the chart and Service Diagnostics Notes below the chart.

Note 4--->Press HI TEMP key in this interval to clear customer error history.

Jake

Attachments

• W10750905-RevA.pdf
    774.7 KB · Views: 170

ACardAttack

Premium Member
You can close this/mark it as fixed. I finally replaced it a week ago and it's been working great, even cleaning better

Thanks for all your help

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new wash motor fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.