• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KDFE104DSS4 KitchenAid Dishwasher starts, but doesn't run completely

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj501

Premium Member
Model Number
KDFE104DSS4
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello, I have a KitchenAid KDFE104DSS4. When I turn it on a cycle, it starts to run but typically when the soap dispenser opens, (you can hear it drop the detergent in). Then the dishwasher stops. At this point you can hear intermittent click sounds, the same normal click sound it makes before starting a cycle, but it doesn't start.

I had an authorized KitchenAid repair company check it out a few weeks ago, and they determined it was the control board. After paying excessive money for the new control board, the issue persisted. Appears to be a misdiagnosis.

They came back today and a new tech determined that instead, it is the motor. Do you have any insight on this? To recap..typically what will happen is the machine will load with water as normal, then it will just stop and I will hear the light clicking sounds (The sounds it makes when it starts a cycle) but it doesn’t run. And usually, this happens after I hear the soap dispenser panel open up and drop in the detergent.

Issue is intermittent If I wait a day and run the dishwasher, it may work as normal again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi TJ,

Yes, It's most likely a bad wash motor, this has become a common problem as of late, many members here have reported the same. In fact I had 2 do this same thing in Sept. 2018 in Parker, Arizona, and the new wash motor fixed them both.:)

Look at post #7 here: FIXED 665.13472N411 What to check on why it only washes about 5% of the cycle.

I'd first check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle. His Kenmore 665 made by Whirlpool, and Whirlpool owns KitchenAid, and uses the exact same wash motor yours does.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use your multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing, if so and it's not running order the wash motor below.

Here is the wash motor assembly for your model:
W11032770 Motor-Pump

Here's the video:

Or yes, you can order the complete assembly which comes with the wash motor already installed for you along with a new diverter motor too:
Pump and Motor Assembly WPW10605057

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @dj501 glad to hear the new wash motor fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.