• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KDFE204ESS2 KitchenAid Dishwasher making clicking sound.

tangierc

Premium Member
Model Number
KDFE204ESS2
Brand
KitchenAid
My dishwasher recently started making a clicking sound. Here's an attached file of the sound. Any ideas what this could be? It starts about 4 minutes after starting a wash. KitchenAid support had no solution other than try resetting it by temporarily shutting off the power or call for service.

Added complete model number

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Try to pinpoint the noise and see if you can tell where it is coming from.

tangierc

Premium Member
Try to pinpoint the noise and see if you can tell where it is coming from.
I've tried. I tried checking the spinning sprayers to see if they're hitting something. I've checked out this small round plastic piece at the front right of the basin that seems to be able to go up and down just a little. If I manually tinker with it, it seems like it could be the sound, but it's really hard to know without having the unit on and seeing what's going on inside.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, but we need the complete model number, the model number tag is inside the door on the tub frame.

Here's the results I get:
KDFE204ESS0
KDFE204ESS1
KDFE204ESS2
KDFE204ESS3
KDFE204ESS4

Jake

tangierc

Premium Member
Ok, I'll look this up. I pulled the model number from my receipt. There was nothing past the numbers I posted. I'll see if I can locate another number.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Got it, thanks! Yes, when this problem happens its usually a bad wash motor, seen this many times on my service calls.

Actually you can simply remove the electrical connector to the wash motor and see if the clicking stops.:)

Here is the wash motor assembly for your model you can order:
W11032770 Motor-Pump

Here's the video to replace it:

Let us know how it goes after you replace it.

To verify that--->Look at post #7 here: FIXED 665.13472N411 What to check on why it only washes about 5% of the cycle.

You can check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle. His Kenmore 665 is made by Whirlpool and owns KitchenAid and uses the exact same wash motor yours does.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use your multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing, if so and it's not running order the wash motor.

Jake

tangierc

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I was going to say that the video is a different model, but it looks like you already covered that. You mentioned that I can just remove the electrical connector to see if the clicking stops. Could you clarify this please? Is this something easy to get to or are you suggesting go through most of the steps in the video, pulling the entire unit out, removing the electrical connector, putting the unit back into place, then do a test wash to see if the clicking stops? What should I expect to happen? Will a wash cycle start if there's not electrical connector to the motor?

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You'll will likely need to pull the dishwasher out a 1/4 to 1/2 way to get access to that wash motor electrical connector.

Will a wash cycle start if there's not electrical connector to the motor?
Yes.

dishwash120volts.jpg

tangierc

Premium Member
Do I need to disconnect the wiring like in the video just to pull it out a little and get to that electrical connector? I am trying to see how much i have to actually do just to pull it out and unplug that cable you recommended.

tangierc

Premium Member
Jake, how long is it safe to run the dishwasher to test your idea without the circulation pump getting power? I am not certain if having it disconnected impacts the dishwasher in a particular way so I don't know how long it's safe to run it to listen for the clicking.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It doesn't need to be connected. You can run it all the way through a cycle with it disconnected.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, wash motor and circulation motor are 1 in the same, I say wash motor because it's less words to type. LOL

Rick is correct, just look at the photo I posted above, see the meter leads are testing inside the electrical connector that goes to the wash motor and the meter says 123.9 volts, that's when the wash motor should be running after the first fill cycle when you first start the dishwasher.

Jake