• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KDFM404KPS KitchenAid dishwasher leaks from vent when I open the door after a heated drying cycle

mkillaly

Premium Member
Model Number
KDFM404KPS
Brand
KitchenAid
I have a 10 month old KitchenAid dishwasher, model number KDFM404KPS. After any cycle with heated drying, water leaks from the vent over the control panel when you open the door. This happens an hour after the cycle completes or 12 hours. Every time I run a cycle and open the door to unload it, I have to place a towel on the floor to absorb the water. I had another issue with the pump overheating and when the technician opened the door and water leaked on his pant leg. He said it was the way it was designed.

Is the KitchenAid dishwasher supposed to leak water after a heated cycle? I would not have bought the dishwasher if someone told me it's made to leak water. I have another appointment (3rd over the past two months). So far, it's the worse appliance I've owned. This one replaced an 18-month old Whirlpool that crapped out. I have an appointment later in the week. Any suggestions?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Is the KitchenAid dishwasher supposed to leak water after a heated cycle?
No, however they will do that if you don't use a drying agent (Jet Dry). Call Whirlpool and set up a warranty service call if you still have the problem. Everything is covered for the first year.

mkillaly

Premium Member
I have been using a drying agent. I have even tried different brands. I have an appointment scheduled for the 10th, but the last time he was here to change the pump and control board since the pump was overheating, he said "it's the way it was designed."

mkillaly

Premium Member
I didn't know I could do that. I will if I'm given that same answer again.

bekuda

I have been using a drying agent. I have even tried different brands. I have an appointment scheduled for the 10th, but the last time he was here to change the pump and control board since the pump was overheating, he said "it's the way it was designed."
Was the technician able to resolve this issue for you? I have the exact same problem and it is so annoying. I found your blog post when I was googling this issue. Thank you for posting.