KDP-20 KitchenAid Dishwasher Heating element

Sprayall

Premium Member
Model Number
KDP-20
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi everybody. I'm new to the forum. First post that is. I have a KDP-20 that stopped heating therefore wouldn't do anything beyond filling. I rewired the one end. The wire had corroded into 2 pieces. It's working fine now but I was searching for a new heating element even though it checked about 18 ohms. I'm having a hard time finding one. Please verify part number as B-241267. Also, I was hoping someone here might know what type of seals are used where the ends pass through the tub. It seems that a small leak at that one end is what contributed to the corrosion of the connector. Wish I knew how to attach photo. Thanks in advance for all and any advice!
Jim.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jim,

Here's the parts diagram for your model: Parts for KitchenAid KDP20: Water Heater Parts

Remember Jim, this dishwasher is almost 40 years old, finding parts for it will be a challenge to say the least.

Did you ohm test the heating element thermostat #5 to see if it has continuity?

The heating element water seals are listed on that parts diagram, but again they will be a nightmare to find.

To upload photos--->Just Click "Go Advanced" at the bottom right side of this Quick Reply editor that we type in, then you will see the MANAGE Attachments Button.

Jake

Sprayall

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I think that's the same one I found earlier but better quality scan. I think I will take it apart sometime soon and spec out seals that fit. I only ohm tested the element itself. Should I have tested the thermostat too? Just for continuity or is there a range that the resistance should be within? Could it make the heating element overheat? I swear I can hear the water boiling before it's done heating.
I almost did replace this vintage piece but then I read so many people regretting doing so.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its been way too many years since I worked on this model, I can't remember Jim if that heating element thermostat should read continuity, I pretty sure it should.

Could it make the heating element overheat? I swear I can hear the water boiling before it's done heating.
Again Jim, its been too many years I don't remember.

I almost did replace this vintage piece but then I read so many people regretting doing so.
Get a Maytag Dishwasher, I own one and it works great, it has a very strong METAL wash motor in it. The Whirlpool and KitchenAid dishwashers have had many problems with there cheap plastic wash motor.

I bought my Maytag dishwasher when I moved from Oregon to Arizona in March of 2014 and not a single problem with it at all, dishes and silverware are sparkling clean every time, and I'm on well water too boot.:)

Here's the Maytag I own: Maytag MDB4949SHZ 24 Inch Built In Full Console Dishwasher

Nows the best time to buy a Maytag Dishwasher, all the appliance stores are having their annual Memorial Day sales right now.:)

Jake