• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KDPM604KPS KitchenAid Dishwasher Noise

Smikella

Premium Member
Model Number
KDPM604KPS
Brand
KitchenAid
I bought the KDPM604KPS Kitchenaid dishwasher and now it is making an odd humming noise. Not sure if this is a normal sound or not but it starts making the sound an hour into the wash cycle and lasts 2 minutes. The sound happens about every 10 minutes until the final drain and dry cycle begins. Seems like the main pump is making a noise but has anyone heard this sound before?

brian80

Premium Member
Sounds like the diverter to me which would make sense based on the intermittent nature. One would think the diverter would make noise earlier in the cycle as well but perhaps it gets hot. And, no that doesn't sound normal.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I agree with Brian.

Since its under warranty, You will need to Contact KitchenAid at 1-800-422-1230. They will send a Authorized KitchenAid Tech out to your house and fix it for free.

Jake

Smikella

Premium Member
Thank you both!

I had called KitchenAid and a Tech looked at the dishwasher. He ordered a replacement vent fan assembly and should be installing it next week. I did not agree with the diagnose as during the drying cycle I can hear the vent fan and it sounds normal to me but I am also not a professional. I just don't want the tech to replace parts until he gets it right and I am left with bunch of refurbished parts in my new dishwasher.

Mike

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The tech should not be putting refurbished parts in your dishwasher. They should be NEW OEM parts.:)

Jake

asiano

Premium Member
Thank you both!

I had called KitchenAid and a Tech looked at the dishwasher. He ordered a replacement vent fan assembly and should be installing it next week. I did not agree with the diagnose as during the drying cycle I can hear the vent fan and it sounds normal to me but I am also not a professional. I just don't want the tech to replace parts until he gets it right and I am left with bunch of refurbished parts in my new dishwasher.

Mike
I just received the same model on Monday and my unit exhibits the same noise issue as yours.

On my unit, about 30 minutes into the wash cycle, it begins to make that noise approximately every 5-6 minutes. The duration increases over time. It starts at about 10-15 seconds and eventually lasts up to 2 minutes.

I was wondering if you can share your resolution. Was the tech able to fix it and if so how? Or is the noise normal? I'm considering returning the unit unless it's an easy fix.

Smikella

Premium Member
I wish I could share a resolution but my issue is still ongoing. But I can provide an update where I am at. We setup an initial appointment with the KitchenAid recommended service provider. We did not have the dishwasher running when they came out, and the tech was not able to hear the noise while he was here. We were told there was nothing to diagnose, that we should make sure our dishes are not interfering with the spray arms. We told him we ran the dishwasher empty, tried multiple cycle options, and we're still hearing the noise. He still said he wasn't able to do anything. We emailed the video of the noise over to a senior technician at the service provider and they decided to order several parts: the main pump assembly, vent assembly, and gasket. When the new technician came out to replace these parts, he was able to pull fault codes, but didn't hear the noise in person and didn't believe the parts that were ordered would fix our problem. So he left and had a water inlet valve shipped to us. We finally received the part and the technician came out again. This time we ran the dishwasher ahead of time and paused mid cycle when it started making the noise. Of course when he resumed the cycle the dishwasher never made the noise. The technician didn't want to replace all of the parts like he previously planned, because he essentially wants us to be guinea pigs and troubleshoot the parts individually so he can let Whirlpool know of a resolution. So he insisted to only replace the water inlet valve; we immediately ran the dishwasher after he left and heard the noise on schedule so we called back and apparently need to go through Whirpool all over again because our case was "closed".

This has been such a nightmare. We thought we were investing in a quality KitchenAid product. We have been trying to get this fixed for months now; if I would have known how long this would take I would have exchanged at Lowe's. Something tells me this is going to be a problem with all the units. Sorry I don't have better news. I'll post again if we come to a resolution.

MVIMG_20200827_171514.jpg

asiano

Premium Member
Thank you so much for the detailed update.

I'm still within the return window, so I decided to exchange it for a Bosch. Best Buy was easy to work with and will uninstall the KitchenAid and install the Bosch at no additional cost. I just needed to pay the difference in price for the Bosch. Also, due to supply chain issues, I need to wait a month for the Bosch.

I wish you well with the KitchenAid. I'm sorry you're dealing with such a mess. You shouldn't have to go through such an ordeal for a brand new appliance. It's a shame because other than that very annoying noise, I really like the unit. It has great capacity and cleans and dries very well.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Mike, keep calling KitchenAid and keep on this because if the KA techs can't fix it they have to give you a new dishwasher under warranty.

Sounds like you have lazy techs don't want to replace the sump/motor assembly. I'd tell KA that and they will have another company come out and get these parts replaced.

Jake