• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KDTE104DSS0 KitchenAid Dishwasher issues completing a normal wash cycle

gogreen

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTE104DSS0
Brand
KitchenAid
Dishwasher recently started to have issues completing a normal wash cycle. It would start, but not finish or it would finish, but not dry or clean. The blue LED light would turn off after a few minutes, but then when I put some pressure on door it would light back up. With pressure on the door, I could cancel the cycle and restart. Sometimes that would work, sometimes not.

Error code: 7-1 Heating element and 6-6-water too cold. After running the diagnostics to find the error codes, the dishwasher reset itself and would complete a full cycle, dry the dishes and appear to work fine. But after a few washes we appear to have the same problems again. I don't believe I have an issue with heating element (because it works). I don't believe I have an issue with door (because it shuts completely ) Any advice or guidance to a fix would be great? Thank you-

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

So after the dishwasher fills with water, do you hear the wash motor come on and do you hear the water splashing in the tub or not?

These wash motors have been a common failing part when after it fills the wash motor doesn't start and run OR runs intermittently. It can also cause the 7-1 error code, because the water has to spray over the heating element to heat the water, if not you get error code 7-1.

To verify that--->Look at post #7 here: FIXED 665.13472N411 What to check on why it only washes about 5% of the cycle.

You can check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle. His Kenmore 665 uses the exact same wash motor yours does.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use your multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing, if so and it's not running order the wash motor.
(click to enlarge)
dishwash120volts.jpg

Here's the wash motor assembly for your model you can order, if needed:
W11032770 Motor-Pump

Here's the video to replace it:

Jake

gogreen

Premium Member
Hi Jake. Yes, I can hear water splashing inside. When I ran the dishwasher last night, all the dishes were still wet at the end of the wash. It didn’t dry. I will check to make sure it’s getting 120 volts.
Thank You

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
but then when I put some pressure on door it would light back up. With pressure on the door, I could cancel the cycle and restart. Sometimes that would work, sometimes not.
That is Possibly the door latch switch is starting to fail.

1. Open and close door, and then press Start/Resume key.
2. Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power.
3. Measure resistance of door switch contacts while checking mechanical operation of latch assembly.

Lets first check the door switch. Check the resistance of the door switch with a multimeter. Should be less than one ohm. High ohms=bad switch.

Here's the door latch switch assembly for your model you can order if yours is bad:
Door Latch WPW10653840

There is a video in the door latch switch part link that shows you how to remove it and replace it.

Jake

gogreen

Premium Member
Hello Jake. Regarding the latch, I’ve got a connection, <1 ohm. Mechanicals, seem fine. Regarding the motor, we are getting 120 volts. When I plugged the connector back in, the motor ran for about 5 seconds, then stopped. So it looks like I’m getting a new motor pump?
Thank You

Attachments

• 67F1CB21-16C1-48E3-B9CA-75123AFC7169.jpeg
    67F1CB21-16C1-48E3-B9CA-75123AFC7169.jpeg
    395.9 KB · Views: 25

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When I plugged the connector back in, the motor ran for about 5 seconds, then stopped.
Yes, bad wash motor.

Let us know how it goes after you replace it.

Jake

gogreen

Premium Member
Hello Jake. New pump motor installed and dishwasher is running like normal. No error codes.
I also figured out to never start the dishwasher without the wash racks inserted. Water quickly comes out the bottom of the door.

Thank You for your help and advice.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @gogreen glad to hear that new wash motor fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

I also figured out to never start the dishwasher without the wash racks inserted. Water quickly comes out the bottom of the door.
Yes, that is very true.:)

Jake