KDTE104DSS1 Won't Dry/Element won't fully heat

Tyler H

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTE104DSS1
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi
OUr 3-4 yr old kitchenaid is doing a few things - cycles running too long, possibly skipping parts of the cycle, as reside will still be on dishes... and most noticeably, dishes stay wet even after drying cycle seems to complete. The element does not seem to get hot, and the thermostat has continuity. Any insights appreciated.

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Tyler H

Premium Member
Thanks Jake
Do I have to remove the element to test it, or can I just test it from the opposite ends, as it sits inside the dishwasher, currently?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If you can get your arms and hands back there to ohm test it, that's fine.:)

But other than that, you'll need to at least pull the dishwasher out about half way to get your arms and hands back there to ohm test it.:)

Remember, turn the breaker OFF to your dishwasher first.:)

Jake

Tyler H

Premium Member
I was able to connect the multimeter, inside the dishwasher, on the exposed parts of the element. It has continuity. Now, I guess there could be a break in the tiny bits of the element that are not exposed inside the dishwasher, and are are instead located underneath the dishwasher, so I should test that. But assuming it has continuity as I suspect it will... does that suggest this might be related to some sort of control board, rather than the mechanical parts themselves? (IE, thermostat and element).

Thanks again

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I was able to connect the multimeter, inside the dishwasher, on the exposed parts of the element. It has continuity.
LOL, Nope Tyler that's not the way to ohm test it, you have to access the TERMINALS of the heating element and put your METER PROBES on the two element TERMINALS.:)

Watch this video to ohm test it: Dishwasher Heating Element Testing Video

Watch this video to access/replace it: Dishwasher Heating Element Video

Jake