• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KDTE104ESS Kitchenaid Dishwasher Soap Dispenser escaping gasket

Dave5358

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTE104ESS
Brand
KitchenAid
Back in January, we bought a new Kitchenaid dishwasher model KDTE104ESS. Shortly thereafter, the soft rubber gasket in the soap dispenser sliding door started to slip out of place. I'm not sure this gasket is really necessary but there is an easy fix if you encounter this problem. This fix applies to all the Kitchenaid / Whirlpool dishwashers using a "square" soap dispenser that looks like this:

s-l1600.jpg

The escaping gasket is located under the sliding soap door. Officially, there are no serviceable parts in this soap dispenser. You can replace the whole unit (W10861000). Replacing the soap dispenser requires removal of the outer door panel. There is a video on how to replace the soap dispenser when you click the part link to it.

Or, you can remove the gasket altogether. If you look at the how this gasket 'seals', the unit should just work fine without it.

Or, you can easily remove the sliding door, put in a bead of automotive RTV or other gasket cement in the slot, reinsert the gasket and it will last forever! I opted for the RTV fix. Here's how:

Remove the sliding door by gently levering with a flat-blade screwdriver at point A . . . until that corner lifts. Then gently pry at point B. Finally, gently pry at point C. Then lift the sliding door out. The tabs near A and B that hold the door in place will come out the slots which are visible in the picture (that's probably why they put these slots there in the first place).

pry-points.jpg

When the door comes free on the A-B side, then gently pry at point C. The door will come out easily. Put a thin bead of RTV into the slot and press the gasket back in place.

To re-install the door, simply align the tabs to the slots and press it down. Move the door back and fourth to be sure it's sliding freely and has engaged the spring. The gasket should now stay in place . . . until the cows come home! Why didn't Kitchenaid do this? If you have RTV on hand, this job should take less than 5 minutes . . . and you will still have time to drink coffee.

Here are some more pics of this mechanism:

A-B side up:

100_7045.jpg

Almost out:

100_7046.jpg

Door out - pesky gasket is partially out of place:

100_7048.jpg

Garyetx@sbcglobal.net

Premium Member
Helpful - I just tried putting the gasket back in place. I don't have a lot of optimism that it will stay. If not, I'll try the other two options. Thanks for the disassembly/assembly pictures and the information.

Dave5358

Premium Member
One other thing I forgot to mention: When you have re-stuffed the gasket (with or without cement) and are ready to re-install the sliding door, there's a small spring the opens the sliding door. One end of the spring fits into a hole in the dispenser body - the other end into a hole in the sliding door. Once you get both ends of the spring in place, just press down on the door and . . . you're done!

Garyetx@sbcglobal.net

Premium Member
It didn't stay fixed. I just finished replacing the dispenser unit. Not quite like the video - the connector to the front panel is pretty well impossible to remove but that's ok, you don't have to even though the video shows doing it. Just pull the cable strain relief clip off to get some service loop then rotate the front 180 degrees around the vertical axis and lean it up against the cabinet face. The old dispenser is quite difficult to remove, as the video says, but it is possible.

I'll run it after dinner to confirm it works.

Spike9

Premium Member
Issue

One other thing I forgot to mention: When you have re-stuffed the gasket (with or without cement) and are ready to re-install the sliding door, there's a small spring the opens the sliding door. One end of the spring fits into a hole in the dispenser body - the other end into a hole in the sliding door. Once you get both ends of the spring in place, just press down on the door and . . . you're done!

Question. I had this same issue with the gasket and now the spring is an issue. I Put spring in place and everything slides normally. When I lock the cover in place it does not release with the button or running the machine so the door never retracts. Ideas? Thank you

Jawz33

Premium Member
I too am having some kind of problem, and I am guessing it is the spring. The door will not stay shut. I slide it closed and it pops right back up. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, do Dave's fix first, if it still does not fix it, then you will need to order and replace the detergent dispenser then like Garyetx had to do in post#5.

W10861000 Detergent dispenser assembly

Jake

Jawz33

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! Luckily, I took the lid out and put it back in a few times. Finally functioning correctly. Not sure what was the problem. Oh, I bookmarked the part. I think it is inevitable. Most expensive dishwasher I have ever bought, giving me problems after just 14 months.

Spike9

Premium Member
Thanks for your reply. I had no issues with it other than the gasket until the spring popped out. Worst dishwasher I've ever owned. Time to go shopping.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that detergent dispenser is a new style design.

The old faithful detergent dispenser design that is very reliable is this one below, which I own myself.

Detergent Dispenser W11032769

Jake

lolo lake

Dave,
Excellent. And most helpful photo's. I was able to re-install the gasket. And it's been good for 4 weeks. Appreciate your effort! Thank you. 71 year old female who likes to solve issues!

JohnJones

Premium Member
Thanks, Dave. Glad you had the guts to pry the door off, everything online states, “non-serviceable”. Fixed it in 5 minutes.

jcpny1

It seems that without the gasket, the detergent is washed out in the pre-rinse cycle. So that when the door does open, there is no detergent left for the main wash.

JohnJones

Premium Member
It seems that without the gasket, the detergent is washed out in the pre-rinse cycle. So that when the door does open, there is no detergent left for the main wash.

That's exactly what I found. My wife likes the pods 🙄 and the would be a soggy blob before the door ever opened.

Contsi

Premium Member
This happened for the second time, both times I was using Cascade pods, it appears the edge of the plastic wrapper catches the gasket.
Initially it was under warranty and had a tech come out and replace the detergent assembly. I started using Finish detergent and the gasket never came off,
but the product did not do as good a job, as soon as I went back to Cascade the gasket came off again. I have the gasket off but I'm seeing here that it needs to be on.
I thought it was needed for liquid detergent, that maybe it could stay off if using tablets.

Handyhandy

I had to lightly hammer the spring into the cover so that the spring would stay attached to the cover. Seems to have fixed that issue.

Contsi

Premium Member
Gasket needs to be on, else the pods get wet and dissolve too early in the cycle.

Yeah, found that out - gasket is back in and so far so good. Glad to find I can actually pop the dispenser and fix the gasket and not replace the entire assembly.

Chadwicktr

Thanks for your reply. I had no issues with it other than the gasket until the spring popped out. Worst dishwasher I've ever owned. Time to go shopping.

Ugh. I’ve had ours for two years and just started having these issues. Hopefully we can make some adjustments and fix it, but am surprised by the lack of reliability testing. Thanks for the thread OP.