• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KDTE104ESS KitchenAid Not completing cycles intermittently

Ryan555

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTE104ESS
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello,

My Kitchen Aid dishwasher is three years old. Recently, it stopped finishing its washing cycles intermittently. What sometimes happens is about halfway through the washing cycle, the washer no longer washes. No water is spraying and thus no rotation. The washer seems to just sit there, sometimes for hours, if left uninterrupted. There is still water as normal in the dishwasher during this time, but it seems to have trouble starting back up.

If I interrupt the cycle by opening the door and pressing start to resume, I will hear about 5-7 clicks and I can tell the washer is "trying" to start up again. I can sometimes hear the motor making sounds to this effect after one of the clicks, as if it is trying to run, but sometimes there is only the clicking sound. Sometimes it will start back up, and sometimes it is not able to, in which case nothing is very clean. I have checked the floater switch, and it seems to be working fine.

I figure this might have to do with a bad motor, but I thought I would ask on here before buying any parts. Could it be something else? My wife and I plan to take it apart a bit this weekend to see if something is stuck in the chopper.

Thanks for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Ryan,

Yes, It's most likely a bad wash motor, this has become a common problem as of late, many members here have reported the same. In fact I had 2 this past Sept. 2018 in Parker, Arizona that did the exact same thing, and the new wash motor fixed them both.:)

Look at post #7 here: FIXED 665.13472N411 What to check on why it only washes about 5% of the cycle.

I'd first check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle. His Kenmore 665 made by Whirlpool, and Whirlpool owns KitchenAid, and uses the exact same wash motor yours does.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use a multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing, if so and it's not running order the wash motor below.

Here is the wash motor assembly you can order:
W11032770 Motor-Pump

Here's the video to replace it:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Ryan555

Premium Member
Thank you so much. This is all very helpful. We will look into it.

We were looking through the parts that were listed for our dishwasher and saw this assembly for only a few dollars more:
WPW10605057 PUMP&MOTOR

Should we get this one and replace the whole assembly? Based on the videos it looked like an easier install.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Ryan, get the whole assembly, your correct much easier to install and only $4 dollars more, which is a bargain to say the least.:)

Keep us posted.

Jake

Ryan555

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for your advice. We purchased the full assembly and installed it this morning. We had a few hiccups since we don't do anything like this regularly - didn't pay enough attention to exactly where each wire connected, so it took some youtube research to determine how to connect it back up.

The assembly wouldn't seat far enough down to turn the sump clips, so the process culminated with a humorous moment when my wife crawled into the dishwasher to sit on the assembly while I fastened it in place. So far, so good - no leaks and the first cycle seems to be running smoothly.

We appreciate your help and will definitely donate as a thank-you for your time!

Cheers,
Ryan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
LOL, that's funny about what your wife did, but if it worked then that's the ticket!

I agree you have to push down hard on the sump assembly to lock those clips in place.:)

Thanks Ryan for the update!

I'll mark your thread as FIXED.

Jake