• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KDTE204ESS1 Kitchen Aid Dishwasher Won't Fill With Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebM1219

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTE204ESS1
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello! My KA dishwasher has sporadically had an issue filling with water for past few months. Sometimes it will work (meaning fill with water and complete cycle) on Normal, other times it will only work on Pro Scrub, other times only on Express. But in the past 2 weeks, it won't fill at all, no matter what cycle. When we run diagnostics, there are no error codes...the unit cycles through the diagnostics and give us no error codes..appears the unit is working just fine. After much online research, my husband and I concluded it might be the water intake valve even though diagnostics show all is good. We replaced that and still no water to the unit. Re-ran the diagnostic codes after replacing intake valve, still fine.

I will add that during the past two weeks, we have cut the power to the unit, left it off overnight and turned back on. Same thing. No water, diagnostics show all is fine.

Finally called for service. A repair tech came out, got same thing..diagnostics showing it is running just fine, just not filling with any water at all. He said he had no idea what it could be. He suggested ordering a new control board and sensor, which we did, however they cannot give us any estimated time of arrival for the part. Said could be days, could be weeks. In the meantime, we are still trying to find out what could be wrong on our own.

The unit is 6 years old and never had a problem until this. Thanks for any suggestions!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, You will need a multimeter.

When it DOESN'T fill with water, you will need to check for 120 volts at the electrical connector that attaches to the water inlet valve. If your meter DOESN'T read 120 volts when it should be filling, first remove your tub float to make sure there isn't a foreign object underneath it or gunk buildup underneath it. When you pull the float up and let it go down you should hear the float switch click each time you do that as well.

Here's the float for your model:
Float WPW10195036

When you click the link to the float you will see a video of how to remove it.:)

Looks like they changed how to remove it, now you have to go from underneath and move the float stem out of the channel its in, then it will pull out.

It used to just pull out from the top without doing anything underneath it.:)

If you find nothing underneath it, next check your float switch.

Here's the float switch for your model, when you click the link to it you will see 2 videos, 1 on how to access it, 1 on how to ohm test it:

If your float and float switch are good, and you get 120 volts at the water inlet valve electrical connector, when you first start a new cycle, then that means the water inlet valve is the culprit.

If your not getting 120 volts then the control board is bad.

Here's the control board for your model:
W10854225 Cntrl-Elec

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

DebM1219

Premium Member
Replaced water inlet valve. Float switch is good. New control board and new sensor were installed. Gets some water but won’t wash. Diagnostics show all is okay. No error codes. Tech said he is ordering us a new wash motor and we will see if that works.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's strange to multiple problems like this because usually when the wash motor goes bad, it still fills fine.

This is what I mention to other people below when it fills but the wash motor won't run:

Look at post #7 here: FIXED 665.13472N411 What to check on why it only washes about 5% of the cycle.

I'd first check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle. His Kenmore 665 is made by KitchenAid, and uses the exact same wash motor yours does.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use your multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing, if so and it's not running order the wash motor below.

Here is the wash motor assembly you can order:
W11032770 Motor-Pump

Here's the video to replace it: Dishwasher Circulation Pump Replacement Video

For the same amount of money you can order the complete assembly which comes with the wash motor already installed for you along with a new diverter motor too:
Pump and Motor Assembly WPW10605058

Let us know what you find.

Jake

DebM1219

Premium Member
Thank you Jake! Due to our limited ability in this kind of thing, I had another service tech look at it and in less than 5 minutes he knew it was the Pump and Motor assembly as you indicated above. He replaced it and said it is now like I have a brand new dishwasher. It's been running great.

That said, thanks for the other suggestions...we were able to replace the water inlet valve on our own even though that wasn't the probelm after all. Give us a little bit more confidence in DIY projects!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent DebM, glad to hear the new Pump and Motor assembly fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.