• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KDTE234GPS0 KitchenAid dishwasher tripping circuit breaker

racer08

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTE234GPS0
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello, I have been lurking on here for the past week or so trying to diagnose a problem with our 1.5 yr old KitchenAid KDTE234GPS0.

It has run flawlessly until the recently when it began tripping the circuit breaker after a good hour or two into the cycle. I've tried express, normal and prowash cycle settings. I've tried with and without the heated dry function. All fail.

After reading here about the diagnostic mode, I tried it, and originally and was getting a 2-1 error code for the control panel. All lights and buttons on the control panel work. I've taken out the control board. I metered the triac fuses and both passed (2.7 ohms). I do not see any hot spots on circuit board, panel or wiring. I removed the junction box and inspected the wires from the house, the wires from the dishwasher and the connections. Nothing discolored, burned, etc. Wire nuts were tight and no nicks or exposed wires showing.

When the circuit trips there is water in the bottom of the tub. I thought that perhaps it was actually the drain pump. I've removed it twice looking for debris and it is fine. I've started the diagnostic cycle with the pump detached and it energized when I closed the door. I can also hear and see water draining to the sink during the when it's running. This weekend I thought maybe it was a clogged drain hose. Tried blowing though and couldn't. Started taking things apart and thought that perhaps I had a bad check valve (allowing water to re-enter the tub) as my wife had washed some spice jars and the labels disintegrated. Didn't find any major obstructions and could blow through each hose before reassembling.

I thought it was perhaps our dual-function circuit breaker with GFCI/AFCI went bad from being tripped multiple times. I swapped it with an identical breaker in the box. Dishwasher is still tripping breaker and the old one is doing fine in it's new location.

I haven't yet ohmed out the heating element. Perhaps it has a pinhole crack somewhere that is grounding out with the water in the bottom of the tub? When I run the diagnostic cycle I'm now getting a 6-4 error code (float switch is fine, I mentioned my drain tubing and triac fuses above). The 2-1 error code is gone.

Suggestions on where to look or what to try next? I'm this close to calling and having a professional look at it, but I don't want to give up.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading and any suggestions you might have.

Greg

Last edited:

racer08

Premium Member
So, update...I was able to run 3 diagnostic cycles in a row last night. All completed without any user or service errors. The dishwasher fills, washes, drains, and heats as it should on diagnostic cycle with no error codes.

I tried running a normal wash cycle last night, after the 3 successful diagnostic cycles and the breaker was tripped this morning when I woke up with water in the bottom of the tub again.:wall:

Any suggestions at all??

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good Morning Greg,

Run a extension cord to a NORMAL(NON-GFCI) outlet and see if it trips the breaker.

Jake

racer08

Premium Member
Thank you Jake. I'll try that when I get home. I attempted to do this over the weekend by using a garage outlet, however the outlets are GFI instead of the breaker. I might have to stop and pick up a plain standard breaker to try as the majority in my panel are dual-function for some reason. House was just built in 2019.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, let us know how it goes.

Jake

racer08

Premium Member
Express wash completed successfully! Started on a normal cycle before going to dinner. Assuming this also completes okay, would this be considered nuisance tripping of the GFCI? If so, my only concern is why it worked well for 18 months, and now decided to act up? Just aged components that mess with the GFCI? Anyone's guess? I was on the right track this weekend, just tried the wrong outlets. Thanks for confirming my suspension. I'll post when I get back home.

racer08

Premium Member
So the normal cycle successfully completed as well on the non-GFI breaker. I did switch two breakers in the beginning to rule out this issue, but that didn't solve my problem. I have a brand new dual-function outlet I can replace it with. Removing the GFI protection does not see to be the right answer to me... Thoughts or comments?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So the normal cycle successfully completed as well on the non-GFI breaker.
There you go. Your dishwasher is NOT the problem.:)

So you will need to contact a electrician to come out and see why it's doing the nuisance tripping of the GFCI.

Jake

racer08

Premium Member
Jake, thank you so much for your help and responses.

Since the dishwasher also trips the GFI on my kitchen and garage outlets when I plug it into those, could it be possible it actually is the dishwasher? Maybe the motor windings are beginning to bad? Since it trips not only the DW circuit, but any GFI circuit I plug it into, I'm not so sure we can totally rule out the DW, right?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, because the dishwasher did NOT trip the normal breaker.:)

Dishwashers' never used to be hooked up to GFCI outlets until recently I guess because of new electrical housing standards. My dishwasher in my kitchen is on a normal wall outlet under the sink and has not had a single trip since I installed it new in March of 2014.

My house was built in 2006.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Greg.:)

Keep us posted if you decide to have a electrician come out to check your GFCI.

Jake