KDTE254ESS1 Heating Element Appears Dead

Contsi

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTE254ESS1
Brand
KitchenAid
Does not appear to be heating. Been reading here about resistance measuring to troubleshoot; what should the resistance be?
Other than having to remove for this test, what is a good time to open the dishwasher to check element temperature? Or do I need to wait
and check during drying cycle? Had this for a few years but been a big disappointment; from broken plastic pieces on both racks, to mediocre cleaning to detergent dispenser and now this.

Thank you for any assistance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I'd ohm test the heating element first. Remember to put your multimeter on 200 ohms when ohm testing that heating element.:)

Here's the heating element for your model:
Heating Element Assembly W10703867

Watch this video to ohm test it: Dishwasher Heating Element Testing Video

Watch this video to access/replace it: Dishwasher Heating Element Video

An easier way to ohm test the heating element without pulling the dishwasher out, is to open your control panel and remove the P4 connector from the control board, then put your meter probes in pins 3 and 4 of that P4 connector.

Make sure you turn the breaker OFF to your dishwasher first before ohm testing it!

Here's the tech. data sheet for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mXxT4nVXELwASIwU92s5n1hVuOglbgrr

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Contsi

Premium Member
I have not done anything yet but was doing some reading where, the controller had turned off the circuit to the heat element due to some water circulation issue.
They put the controller into diagnostic mode, which reset the circuit and the heater started working again. Is this something that can be done to this dishwasher and if so, should I try it.

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The only time you need to run it through the complete diagnostics cycle is AFTER you replace the heating element.

Jake

Contsi

Premium Member
Appears to be resolved by running diagnostics, see my post #3. I have done 3 washes since with no issues.
To me this should be the first thing to try as it is the easiest, nothing was taken apart. The element started heating during the diagnostic run.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, that is not something I have run into before then.

What happens if you keep having to do this over and over again when the heater stops working?

Hopefully this is just a one time oddity, but I'm just saying.

Jake

Contsi

Premium Member
Well, so far so good, only ran diagnostics the one time. Something caused the controller to stop power to the heater and it may be by design.
According to what I read it was due to water circulation issue; maybe no water no heat on that cycle (just guessing).
I'm just thinking if people run into this no heat issue, unless it is clear that the element is defective, it may be worth it to run the diag before replacing it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I completely agree, the simple and easiest to do is run the diagnostics completely through till it ends, takes about 23 minutes.

It's just I've never run into this problem before without replacing the heating element first.

Keep us posted, I'm interested to see if this is a permanent fix, or temporary.

Jake