• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KDTE254ESS2 KitchenAid Dishwasher control lock light blinks three times with noise randomly

megha

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTE254ESS2
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi,

My Kitchenaid Dishwasher has recently had the control lock light up three times and made a sound by itself. When I tried to unlock it by holding it for three seconds, it became unresponsive. I turned off the circuit breaker and when I turned it back on, I was able to to unlock it. I noticed the sani rinse light blinking but it went away after awhile. I was able to run a couple of cycles and it was fine for a couple of days. Today, I noticed the control lock light up by itself again.

I turned off the circuit breaker and was able to unlock it again. (For context, a couple of months ago the display panel and sump were changed). My warranty of course has expired recently as I purchased this in 2017. I was trying to run diagnostic by pressing the buttons (123) but was unable to do so.

My question is: Since the dishwasher runs fine, what could this problem actually be? Could it be a malfunction of the circuit board? Or could I try resetting the circuit board? How do I do so? I don't want to call repair unless I have to because it runs fine. I just don't know why it randomly locks itself up. Any insight would be appreciated.

Added complete model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You missing the last digit in your model number. Read it from the model number tag located inside the door on the tub frame.

KDTE254ESS0
KDTE254ESS1
KDTE254ESS2
KDTE254ESS3

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks!

That random problem you are having is usually a short in the control panel keypad assembly.

Do this test below to verify its the control panel keypad assembly first before you order it:
- Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power.
- Disassemble door and disconnect keypad connection from control board or LCD display module.
- Verify all other connections to control board are made.
- Reassemble door, but do not close door.(leave keypad disconnected).
- Plug in dishwasher or reconnect power.
- Wait at least 7 seconds for control board to power up completely.
- Close dishwasher door and monitor control board response:
A. If control board is OK (no longer sees stuck keys with keypad unplugged), it will respond by turning on the drain motor for 2 minutes. Replace control panel keypad assembly.
B. If control board is not OK (still sees stuck keys with keypad unplugged), it will not turn on drain motor. Wait for at least 10 seconds. If there is still no drain response, then replace control board or LCD display module (whichever one the keypad was connected to).

Here's the control panel keypad assembly for your model: W10902370

Here's the control board for your model: W10866124
Check your owners manual warranty, some KitchenAid models have a 5 yr. warranty on the control board.

Let us what happens.

Jake

megha

Premium Member
Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I really appreciate it. I was hoping that it would be a quick fix but it doesn't seem like it is going to be. Before I attempt to check the problem by doing the steps above I wanted to know if this is something a lay person could do. I don't want to start and then realize I am way over my head. I have disassembled stuff before so I would say I am okay at things. In your opinion, since I am out of my warranty with parts, would this even be worth fixing?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's up to you.

If you've fixed other things around your house, then you should be able do this. But not everyone is a Do-it-yourselfer, and that's ok too. Maybe a friend or family member that's more mechanically inclined can help you.

Jake

megha

Premium Member
Ok I understand. I think it must be the control board as we just had the control panel key pad assembly replaced a couple of months ago but I will test it out. Thank you so much for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.