• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KDTE404DSS0 KitchenAid Dishwasher - start, add dish, washing and front light blinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAwlino

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTE404DSS0
Brand
Whirlpool
Yesterday I tried to start a dishwasher cycle and it appeared to be running fine until about a minute into the cycle. The start, add dish, washing and front light started blinking. I opened the door and selected resume cycle and closed the door and almost instantly they started flashing again. I tried unplugging the dishwasher for 60 seconds and plugging it back in. Any help would be much appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Usually a blinking control panel keypad light indicates a short in the keypad.

We can verify that.

Do this test below to verify its the control panel keypad first before you order it:
- Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power.
- Disassemble door and disconnect keypad connection from control board or LCD display module.
- Verify all other connections to control board are made.
- Reassemble door, but do not close door.(leave keypad disconnected).
- Plug in dishwasher or reconnect power.
- Wait at least 7 seconds for control board to power up completely.
- Close dishwasher door and monitor control board response:
A. If control board is OK (no longer sees shorted keys with keypad unplugged), it will respond by turning on the drain motor for 2 minutes. Replace control panel keypad assembly.
B. If control board is not OK (still sees shorted keys with keypad unplugged), it will not turn on drain motor. Wait for at least 10 seconds. If there is still no drain response, then replace control board or LCD display module (whichever one the keypad was connected to).

Here's the control panel keypad assembly for your model:
WPW10537418 Panel-Cntl

Let us know what you find.

Jake

KAwlino

Premium Member
Thank you Jake,

I have completed all tasks and verified control board is OK. I have ordered the keypad assembly and will update once it is installed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, yes keep us posted.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That is very odd. That should of fixed it.

Possibly the door latch switch is intermittently starting to fail.

1. Open and close door, and then press Start/Resume key.
2. Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power.
3. Measure resistance of door switch contacts while checking mechanical operation of latch assembly.

Lets first check the door switch. Check the resistance of the door switch with a multimeter. Should be less than one ohm. High ohms=bad switch.

Here's the door latch switch assembly for your model you can order if yours is bad:
Door Latch WPW10653840

There is a video in the door latch switch part link that shows you how to remove it and replace it.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait, I just remembered something. Your model has the problem door vent that would also cause this problem. So before you replace the door latch switch Do this first--->Disconnect all the wire connectors to your door vent and see if it runs through a complete cycle.

Start reading what bigbuck said at post#18 here:

Your model uses the exact same door vent. If it runs through a complete cycle and everything is back to normal, then order and replace the door vent assembly.

Here it is for your model you can order:
WPW10469574 Vent

To access the vent assembly you will need a T-15 torx screwdriver: Remove 4 screws (long) across top of door, then remove 10 screws (short) on the sides, then the outer door panel pulls off.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

KAwlino

Premium Member
Thank you for remembering that Jake. I have unplugged the door vent connection and have verified to cycle has completed. I will order and replace the Door Vent.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @KAwlino glad to hear that was the problem.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

KAwlino

Premium Member
@Jake What would you recommend doing with these other parts that I ordered and did not resolve the issue? The parts website is saying I cannot return them if they have been installed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You can return the door latch, you didn't install that.

You may want to keep the control panel keypad assembly, those go out quite often after 5 years.

Or you can sell it in our Buy, Sell, Trade forum here:
Or on ebay.

Jake

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.