• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KDTE404DWH0 Runs and Runs.. Never completes cycle.

Mr Spock

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTE404
Brand
KitchenAid
So after having great luck with our first Kitchen Aid Dishwasher (16 years) it was only logical we replaced it with another Kitchen Aid. Now our first problem -- And hopefully one I can resolve.
Started dishwasher one morning and left for work.. Came home to find it still running.

Here is where I am so far. Turned off at breaker to reset, and tried again.. Still keeps running.
Ran it on rinse cycle and it just kept going again, although seemed to get stuck on drain mode.

Researched and found the diagnostics sequence.. 123123123. Did that and closed the door. indicator light on outside appeared to blink 6 times, then 2. brief delay and 6 then 2. Then it started and ran, competing with a beep when it was done.

Service documents inside seem to indicate fill valve ? Although its getting water ..?
Not a repairman by any stretch but mechanically inclined Id say ! I have a volt meter and have a basic understanding of how to use.

Any ideas on which way to go next ? Thank you in advance.

Mr Spock

Premium Member
Ok a few more tidbits. Loaded it up and ran it today after a successful rinse only cycle completed. Check on it after a bit and soap dispenser had opened -- all going well. Heard it draining and refilling for rinse cycle. And THERE is where it keeps repeating itself. Over and over drain and refill, rinse and repeat.
So eventually I hit Cancel/Drain and then when that was done, ran rinse only. That went through normal routine and was done with white light on when I got back.
Hopefully somebody will know what's going on ! Thank you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

It sounds like a faulty control board since that error code 6-2 is not relevant because your fill valve is working fine, correct?

Here's the control board for your model:
W10866116 Cntrl-Elec

On this model you have a 5 yr. warranty on the control board from KitchenAid, so you should contact them and they should send you the control board for free. Or they may require a KitchenAid to come out first to verify.

KitchenAid Customer eXperience Center
In the U.S.A., call 1-800-422-1230. In Canada, call 1-800-807-6777.

Jake

Mr Spock

Premium Member
Yes fill valve is working great it appears. Not sure how to check it, but by running it it fills and seems fine.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup I agree, I'd say control board problem then.

Jake

Mr Spock

Premium Member
Thank you Jake for the heads up on warranty for control board. KitchenAid sending out a new one today for free ! I will update when part arrives and I give it a go.
Appears that it is behind door panel.. 4 torx head screws down each side and maybe two at latch and it opens up ?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

On your model, you may have to remove the whole inner door liner, watch the video below.

[video=youtube_share;t2ZJsGm9Qj4]

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Mr Spock

Premium Member
Dishwasher is FIXED. and for FREE.
Cant thank you enough Jake for the heads up.. free control board Would have never known.
Wooo Hooooo I fixed it for FREE :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Mr Spock, good job, glad to hear that.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Mr Spock

Premium Member
Another issue cropped up - Dishwasher won’t complete cycle again. Acting different. While into wash cycle it stops briefly. Blue running light blinks once. Starts again for short time. Stops, blinks off and back on and runs again. Over and over...
Help Jake !

Mr Spock

Premium Member
Ok so pull door cover off, unplug that fan assembly and start it without that plugged in at all and see how it goes is what I am doing ? Just to be sure :)

Mr Spock

Premium Member
Pulled both connectors off fan assembly and ran rinse only. Worked. Ran light wash and pro dry - works. I'll order the fan assembly right away.
Thank you .. :)

Mr Spock

Premium Member
Lets us know how you make out.

Yep sure will. The craziest thing is after replacing the board with a new one, [free] it all worked. For a week or more .. then started doing this. But it is what it is! I’ll get the fan and pop it in. Wonder if it would hurt anything if I had to run it again between now and getting the fan :) Or mYbe just wait it out. Thanks again

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Mr Spock, bigbuck pointed that vent issue out to me on another thread, that was causing a few other dishwashers to do this same thing, and they also disconnected the vent wires and it ran through the whole cycle fine.:)

Thanks again bigbuck!

Here's the vent assembly for your model you can order:
WPW10469574 Vent

Jake

Mr Spock

Premium Member
Dishwasher runs great - ordering fan this week. Still using once in a while even without fan plugged in. Will update when new part is in but see no reason it shouldn’t still be AOK. Thanks again

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Mr Spock, glad to hear that.:)

Thanks again bigbuck!:)

Jake