• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KDTE704DSS0 KitchenAid Dishwasher - Runs 5 minutes and stops, can't force drain cycle

jjscarlett

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTE704DSS0
Brand
KitchenAid
I've have multiple issues with my 5.5 year old KDTE704DSS0.
Sadly we had an older model to this dishwasher previously and is was so great that when we "upgraded" from the builders spec to this one for quite a bit of $$$.

Fixes to date:
  1. Change the control panel (display had some dead parts - warranty)
  2. Reconnect and seal the vent tube (was installed incorrectly from the factory and was leaking (twice) - warranty)
  3. Replaced all the metal roller slides (plastic guides corroded and the bearings fell out - half warranty, half myself)
  4. Rack Adjuster replaced (failed to lock - myself)
  5. Pump Tub Gasket (was leaking near the middle/back - myself)
PRIOR SYMPTOM: Over the past few months we've noticed that the dishes were not as dry as before. I tested the heating element and the float switch and a few other things, but nothing seemed wrong. I eventually gave up and accepted that this was a dish-washer, not a dish-dryer :(.

CURRENT SYMPTOM: The dishwasher starts and after 5 minutes it shuts off. The front panel goes black, no noises are made, dishes are wet inside, bottom is full of water.

OTHER SYMPTOM: Initially after running a cycle, I was able to manually run the Drain Cycle and it would drain (I could hear the drain pump). Now when I try to manually run the Drain Cycle, it makes a short mechanical (pump?) noise followed by a pause, then repeats this two more times and then goes quiet.

DIAGNOSTIC CYCLE CODES:
Beginning of test: 8-4, 8-1, 6-4
End of test: 8-4, 8-1
Have also seen: 7-1, 6-2 as well (after trying to clear the code with the Hi-temp button, but I don't fully trust that I did it right since the buttons are hidden under the counter top and I have to open the door to get to them).

8-4: Drain motor electrical problem
8-1: Slow drain
6-4: Float switch open
7-1: No heat
6-2: Fill Valve electrical problem

My guesses so far:
  • hose plugged/partially plugged (I was initially able to drain it a few times, so not sure about this, how to test for partial blockage?)
  • drain pump intermittent failure (how can I test it independently of the force Drain cycle?)
  • main control board faulty.

jjscarlett

Premium Member
Took the drain motor out ... and i found an elastic band wrapped around the motor!!! Re-running diagnostics and will report back in a while.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Disconnect all the wire connectors to your door vent and see if it runs through a complete cycle.

Start reading what bigbuck said at post#18 here:

Your model uses the exact same door vent. If it runs through a complete cycle and everything is back to normal, then order and replace the door vent assembly.

Here it is for your model you can order:
WPW10469574 Vent

To access the vent assembly you will need a T-15 torx screwdriver: Remove 4 screws (long) across top of door, then remove 10 screws (short) on the sides, then the outer door panel pulls off.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

jjscarlett

Premium Member
After removing the rubber band from the drain pump the dishwasher seems to function fine. I did not need to disconnect the wires from the vent assembly.
The drying/heating also seems to work now as well.

To clear the drain pump, shopvac out the excess water, turn off power/breaker, take off front kick plate, unplug wire from drain pump and then press in the clip on the front/top of the pump and rotate anti-clockwise (this was the hardest step). Some water will come out, so have a towel handy.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, good job.(y)

But what about this--->only have a 6-2 error code (fill Valve electrical problem)???

Do you still have that error code? clear it and see if it comes back.:)

Here's the drain pump for your model:
Drain Pump WPW10531320

Here's a video for others following your thread, that shows you how to access the drain pump, it's very simple, it just twists off. It starts at the 2:00 mark of the video:

Jake