FIXED KDTE704DSS1 KitchenAid Dishwasher lots of issues

reneedmd0519

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTE704DSS1
Brand
KitchenAid
This dishwasher is four years old. A couple of years ago I had to replace the touchpad and the vent - that was aggravating, but hey, this forum helped me get through.
Recently it started acting up, not filling with water. I ran diagnostics and got a 6-4 code, so I replaced the float switch. After replacing that, STILL had an issue (checked the switch with a meter, it was fine). Ran diagnostics, got a 6-1 and a 6-4. Replaced the fill valve. It ran fine for a few days, and then started acting up again. It will start a wash cycle, but then about midway through, it will stop - the progress lights all disappear, but the "washing" light stays on and I hear intermittent washing. I have to cancel the wash cycle at that point.
So, because one of the lights on my touchpad was dimly lit (light wash), I figured, okay - touchpad short. Well, I just replaced that and am still having issues. The biggest problem, now, is - when I try to run the diagnostics, it flashes the 6-4 three times, but then doesn't seem to complete the diagnostic mode!!! The Clean light goes on steady, then a long beep.
I am thinking I need a new controller, and I am annoyed to say the least - this was a $1200 dishwasher, I would expect it to have lasted longer. I don't want to to keep dumping money in parts (although I just bought from repair clinic, so there is the possibility of cutting my losses and returning).
Thanks for any help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Disconnect all the wire connectors to your door vent and see if it runs through a complete cycle AND see if it runs through a complete diagnostic cycle

Start reading what bigbuck said at post#18 here:

Your model uses the exact same door vent. If it runs through a complete cycle and everything is back to normal, then order and replace the door vent assembly.

Here it is for your model you can order:
WPW10469574 Vent

To access the vent assembly you will need a T-15 torx screwdriver: Remove 4 screws (long) across top of door, then remove 10 screws (short) on the sides, then the outer door panel pulls off.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

reneedmd0519

Premium Member
I will try this - I replaced the vent a couple years ago so I imagine it could be the issue again. Grrr. Thank you for the response. I will let you know if it works!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

reneedmd0519

Premium Member
Hi Jake - sorry it took a while to get back to you. It *was* the vent! Ugh. This makes it the second time I have had to replace it. Thank you sooo much, this forum saved me from having to buy a new dishwasher! As frustrated as I am with the kitchenaid, it washes well. I am okay with buying a new vent every couple years. :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad the new door vent fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

This is odd of it going out the 2nd time, did the electrical connector on the vent look corroded ?

If so, you may want to get "electrical connector prevent corrosion" spray and spray it on there to make it last longer than 2 years.:)

Jake