• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KDTM354DSS KitchenAid Dishwasher near-continual buzzing and does not wash

Clay Sink

Model Number
KDTM354DSS3
Brand
KitchenAid
During the last run, there was near-continual buzzing, similar to a relay or solenoid. Subsequently, after START, the DW fills, heats, but does not wash, i.e., no water circulates, but the entire cycle (NORMAL) runs to completion. Diagnostic provides only 6 1 error code despite completing three full runs. Removed and cleaned inlet valve and drain switch. Both good -- DW fills and drains normally and on command. Your blog references door vent problems and recommends confirming 120V to the circulation motor. It also cites pump filter failure as a cause. Checked the interval timing, which seemed nominal to the chart description. Does the drain valve switch signal the end of the fill cycle? What further tests do you recommend, or should I just stop testing and spend the $350 for a new pump and motor replacement? Note: your blog is very readable and informative. One of the very best! Thanks, Clay

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I'd first check the pump filter--->On these models there has been a problem with the pump filter breaking and jamming up the wash motor, thus you will hear little to no water spray out the spray arms and that buzzing sound you are hearing.

Mike took lots of photos and documented them here:

Here's that pump filter you can order if needed:
Pump Filter W11084156

If not in-stock at RepairClinic, It's also here: W11084156

Also look at this thread:

If you want to order the complete pump/motor assembly you can do that too, it comes with that pump filter already installed for you.

Here's the complete pump/motor assembly for your model:
Circulation Pump W10902589

Here's the video:

Let us know what you find.

Jake