KDTM354DSS3 Not cleaning dishes

smokey7722

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTM354DSS
Brand
KitchenAid
This unit is about 3-4 years old, has worked great since I got it. However a couple days ago I started the ProWash/ProDry/ProScrub cycle and after a bit heard a sound similar to a whining. Like a motor was turned on but it wouldn't actually engage. That stayed for a bit then went away and all normal sounds continued. Once complete the dishes were hot as usual however they were certainly not clean and the Tide pellet was left virtually intact in the bottom. I figured it was a fluke, so I ran it again and this time no whining sound but smelled something odd.
After the cycle ended it was again not clean and the new pellet was left there as well. I played around a bit with it empty this evening and it seems that the water inlet works (can hear water flowing and if I open it there is water in the tub) and drain works (can see/hear it going into the sink drain and if I open the door I see the level dropping appropriately). Each time I would run it though the sprayers have always been bone dry which made me initially think it could associated?

I checked the filter inside and it seemed ok though there was a small piece of plastic in there that looked melted (photos included of both sides - I apologize about the focus issue, I tried a few times and can retry again if you think its useful) which could have been the smell I heard. It was UNDER the filter cover when I removed it and I don't see any damage inside there so where the piece came from I'm not sure. I then started the diagnostics sequence and was met with a whole ton of codes. 6-1, 7-1, 8-2. At this point given the large range of codes I figured it was best to post up here and see if there was some guidance on how to proceed? Should I try to reset the codes and then run the cycle again? Do I assume that the variety of codes are all issues and address each specifically or could they compound each other (fixing one fixes others?)

Thanks for any guidance!

IMG_20190602_195458.jpg IMG_20190602_195502.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Your missing the last digit in your model number.

Here's the results I get:
KDTM354DSS0
KDTM354DSS1
KDTM354DSS3
KDTM354DSS4

Yes, that item in your photos above looks melted, that maybe the smell you smelled.

This model has that troublesome vent thats been a major issue and shorts out and will cause it NOT to go completely through complete wash cycle.:)

I'd first Disconnect all the wire connectors to your door vent and see if it runs through a complete cycle.

Start reading what bigbuck said at post#18 here: FIXED: KUDE60HXSS5 KitchenAid Dishwasher Fills but then Shuts off

Your model uses the exact same door vent. If it runs through a complete cycle and everything is back to normal, then order and replace the door vent assembly.

Here it is for your model you can order:
WPW10469574 Vent

To access the vent assembly you will need a T-15 torx screwdriver: Remove 4 screws (long) across top of door, then remove 10 screws (short) on the sides, then the outer door panel pulls off.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

smokey7722

Premium Member
Sorry about that, just checked and its a KDTM354DSS3 model. I'll read that post and catch up on it. Will respond later this evening, thanks!!

smokey7722

Premium Member
So the dishwasher does look like its running through a full cycle and displays Clean at completion, though dishes are not clean and the pellet is left intact. I'm happy to disconnect the vent through to test that if you think it could be related?

smokey7722

Premium Member
Without changing anything I ran a "Normal" wash from start to finish, it took a few hours as usual. Once complete it signified "Clean" and when opened was hot as expected from the drying cycle. So it did run through a cycle, though there was some small pieces of a dawn pellet i left in there that should have broken down during a cycle that were not, so theres definitely a problem while running - despite it completing the cycle.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the complete model number.:)

Ok,

Its sounds like possibly a problem in your wash motor, or its clogged up. After it fills and the wash motor comes on do you hear water splashing inside the tub?

If not and it sounds like a whining sound, like the wash motor was turned on but it wouldn't actually engage, then you'll need to remove your dishwasher and tilt it on its back and pull the wash motor out to check for something clogging it.

Here's the wash motor for your model:
Circulation Pump W10902589

Here's the video:

[video=youtube_share;GD1tN2D6pMY]https://youtu.be/GD1tN2D6pMY[/video]

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, let us know how it goes.

Jake