• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KDTM354DSS4 Dishwasher Circulation Pump Not Coming On

Pzoppi

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTM354DSS4
Brand
KitchenAid
Dishwasher fills with water but circulation pump does not come on. In diagnostics mode getting code 6-1, which indicates issue with water inlet valve. However, water does come on and fills dishwasher. Discharge pump also working fine.

Thinking about replacing control board but not sure.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'd first use a multimeter to check for 120 volts at the wash motor after it fills and should be running, if you get 120 volts and the wash motor is not running, then the wash motor is bad.

Here's the wash motor for your model:
Circulation Pump W10902589

Here's the video:

Jake

Pzoppi

Premium Member
Thanks Jake!

Will check voltage at circulation pump.

Do you happen to know if a 6-1 fault code (Water inlet valve failure) would prevent the circulation pump from starting?

Also, is there anywhere I might be able to view the Service Manual for this model (KDTM354DSS4) online?

Called Kitchenaid. They were pretty much useless.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the tech. data sheet for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DPe34l9BUJbeMkUcAbyBZNdDs2McNTMp

Ok, I just noticed this model has the problematic door vent, that can also cause the 6-1 code and not wash.

Do this first--->Disconnect all the wire connectors to your door vent and see if it runs through a complete cycle.

Start reading what bigbuck said at post#18 here:

Your model uses the exact same door vent. If it runs through a complete cycle and everything is back to normal, then order and replace the door vent assembly.

Here it is for your model you can order:
WPW10469574 Vent

To access the vent assembly you will need a T-15 torx screwdriver: Remove 4 screws (long) across top of door, then remove 10 screws (short) on the sides, then the outer door panel pulls off.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Pzoppi

Premium Member
Filter screen came apart, jammed pump. Ended up replacing.

Thanks for your help jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Last edited:

Pzoppi

Premium Member

Attachments

• F6EFF6BE-8725-4A3E-BC52-9DE797B473FF.jpeg
    F6EFF6BE-8725-4A3E-BC52-9DE797B473FF.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 411

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I see that, thanks! That will help others. I have never seen that happen before on this model.

Jake

thatnerdyguy@gm

Premium Member
For other internet searchers, I had a variant of the same model exhibiting the same symptoms, opened up the circulation pump, and my filter screen has catastrophically failed in the same manner.

cpthreeoh

Premium Member
Thank you to everyone who's posted here. I have the same catastrophic filter failure. Looks exactly like the picture above. Let me know if anyone want to see another instance.

Just curious, did you just replace the filter or the whole pump assembly? Just curious if I need to speed one dollar amount or 4-5x more.
The price of the entire assembly is painful. Did you end up replacing filter only?

thatnerdyguy@gm

Premium Member
I ended up just replacing the entire pump as well. Mostly because:

1. At the time most places either were "out of stock" or had just the filter as "special order", and I was under instructions to "get it fixed" :)
2. Even if just the filter was available for purchase, I wasn't entirely sure the motor itself hadn't gotten damaged trying to run against an immovable load. If I could find the filter, I *may* have done the "take this extension cord, fray it at one end and attempt to kill yourself applying the live wire to the motor to see if it still spins"... but most likely would've just gone with buying the whole assembly anyway. :)

cpthreeoh

Premium Member
Those orders sound very familiar! It's still the same situation with the parts. I'm following your lead and replacing the whole assembly. Thanks for your help!

If anyone has any idea of why these are failing prematurely please let me know. Would love to know if there's something that we can do to make this appliance last a long time.

Jim1400

Premium Member
I have almost the same model (KDTM354EBS3), and have a bad circulation pump. I am assuming the motor failed because the Pump Filter W11084156 was jammed with gunk, the motor could not turn it and so burned out. What I don't understand is why this filter is getting jammed up with gunk. The same thing happened earlier this year (January), and I replaced the whole pump/motor assembly at that time. I have read other posts about how these motors failing is a common problem. Is this a bad design, or are we supposed to be checking these filters regularly (even though doing so requires a fair amount of uninstalling and part teardown)?
FYI, I did clean and un-jam the filter, but it appears it is already too late to save the motor.

JustinDen

Premium Member
Thank you all so much for this thread! Same issue here; Dishwasher fills and drains but circulation pump does not come on. I followed the video above for replacing the circulation pump assuming that I had a failed filter as well. After removing the 3 torx screws and using a flat head screw driver to remove the top cover to the pump, I saw that the pump filter (W11084156) failed. Filter screen torn off like the one in Pzoppi's photo. I've seen varying prices for the pump and filter. I'd like to stay under $100 for the repair and given it's not too difficult to remove the filter I may just replace that and see how it goes. Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good find Justin, yes lots of these filters are failing much too early and causing this problem.

The new filter you order should be made to last longer, as they usually upgrade the filters when they start to see a lot of failures.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Jake

JustinDen

Premium Member
Do you if there are any videos on how to replace the filter? Mine was pretty busted up and I'm second guessing if I want to replace the filter for $69 bucks or the entire pump ~$230 that includes the filter. Less parts pushing water that I could mess up. ;-) Dishwasher is 5 years old and the thought of just buying a new one is also crossing my mind.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Mike posted a thread of how to access it to remove the filter here:

Wait, I thought you already removed it? If so, then put the new filter in the same way the old one came out.:)

Jake