• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KDTM354DSS4 KitchenAid Dishwasher is dead - no response from touch pad

Fred A

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTM354DSS4
Brand
KitchenAid
No previous sign of trouble. Yesterday the control panel would not respond. No light at all. Pressing control lock button for 3 s did not trigger any sign of life. Switched off breaker for dishwasher for 10 min. No change. Removed door panel and measured volt into the main board. 123 V. With door open I unplugged power into main board and disconnected both the harness and power cable from main board to control panel. Plugged back in main power, leaving control panel cables out and waited 10s and closed door. No sound except a very faint buzzing from the main board that you can hear if you put your ear 2 inches from it. But no drain pump starting up for sure.
The buzz sounds from the main board went away after I plugged back the control cable harness and power, into the main board. Not sure what to do next? Should I order a new main board? Or is there something else I can check? Any advise would be much appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Fred,

Its possibly the door latch switch. This happened to me on service call in Blythe, California earlier this year on a customers dishwasher, no lights no nothing. And sure enough the door latch switch did not have continuity when the door was closed. I ordered and installed the new door latch switch and it worked perfect!

1. Open and close door, and then press Start/Resume key.
2. Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power.
3. Measure resistance of door switch contacts while checking mechanical operation of latch assembly--->Look at the photo attachment below.

Lets first check the door switch. Check the resistance of the door switch with a multimeter. Should be less than one ohm. High ohms=bad switch.

Here's the door latch switch assembly for your model you can order if yours is bad:
Door Latch WPW10653840

There is a video in the door latch switch part link that shows you how to remove it and replace it.

Jake

Attachments

• doorlatchswitch_ohmtest.jpg
    doorlatchswitch_ohmtest.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 19

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You can use a jumper wire and jump the door latch switch electrical connector and see if everything lights up again.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the door latch switch is good, then it has to be a bad control board.

Check your owners manual warranty, some are covered up to 5 years for the part only, you pay labor.

Here's the control board for your model:
W10854216 Cntrl-Elec
whirlpool-cntrl-elec-w10854216-ap6003887_01_m.jpg

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Fred, good! Let us know what you find.

Jake

Fred A

Premium Member
When I measure the resistance of the door latch switch it jumps inbetween single digits to 150 but it keeps jumping : 1, 20, 120, 5, 20 etc. it changes every s even if I am holding everything steady. Is that just poor technique from my side or is that a problem?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It should not keep jumping, but seeing that its jumping means its good, because if it was bad the meter would not get any reading at on it.:)

So its either a bad control board or bad user interface.

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below. Look on page 9 where it says--->Won’t Run or Power Up (“Dead” Keypad/ Console)
- No operation
- No keypad response
- No LEDs or display

Then you will see on step 5--->1. Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power. 2. Replace UI/console and/or control.

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10750907 - Rev B.pdf
    900 KB · Views: 29