• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KDTM354DSS4 KitchenAid Dishwasher with undocumented diagnostic code (3-4)

tonyg

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTM354DSS4
Brand
KitchenAid
hi, i am having some issues with dishes coming clean in my dishwasher. i discovered how to get diag codes and i get these 2 codes
8-1 (slow drain)
and
3-4 which is not documented in the tech sheet in the kick panel....

does anyone know what this code means...i don't think i am hallucinating, I have pulled the codes several times and i am definitely getting 3-4

thanks in advance

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Tony,

So after it fills do you hear the wash motor come on and do you hear the water splashing inside the tub?

Jake

tonyg

Premium Member
I think my issue is more related to emptying. yes, the wash motor does come on and the dishes are washed mostly, however, there is often residue or food particles left behind. I am wondering if the 8-1 code means my discharge pump is worn out. i don't have any visible water in the sump at the end of cycle, but i wonder if it is not pumping out quick enough.

btw, what about error code 3-4...it is not documented...what does it mean?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
what about error code 3-4...it is not documented...what does it mean?
Your model has the problem door vent that would also cause this problem false error code 3-4. Do this first--->Disconnect all the wire connectors to your door vent and see if it runs through a complete cycle.

Start reading what bigbuck said at post#18 here:

Your model uses the exact same door vent. If it runs through a complete cycle and everything is back to normal, then order and replace the door vent assembly.

Here it is for your model you can order:
WPW10469574 Vent

To access the vent assembly you will need a T-15 torx screwdriver: Remove 4 screws (long) across top of door, then remove 10 screws (short) on the sides, then the outer door panel pulls off.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Tony, if that did not resolve it, then I just found another member with that same unlisted error code 3-4 here:
The new wash motor fixed his.

Here's the wash motor for your model:
Circulation Pump W10902589

Here's the video:

Jake

tonyg

Premium Member
jake, thanks for taking the time. so i tried your suggestion; i pulled off the front panel and disconnected the 2 cables to the dryer vent. I then ran a load. similar results. now, when i put the unit in diag mode, i get 10-3,8-1,3-4 (10-3 is for the dryer vent not working).
I am not sure what to think, my symptoms are not the same as the other you pointed out. my cycles seem to complete. i am pretty sure i am getting pressure in both upper and lower arms. the 8-1 code is what concerns me.
the other thing i noticed is that there were food particles in the lower arm again. i clean it out but i still wonder i the issue is incomplete draining?

btw, how do you "clear codes"? i have seen several variations of pressing heated dry and another button...but these all insist it has to be done when the door is closed, but my controls are under counter so i cannot do that. i tried leaving the power off for 10 min but that did not clear either....how is this done?

your thoughts would be appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If there is no water in the bottom of the tub, then its draining fine.

I'm attaching the tech data sheet below, On page 3 it shows you how to get into the diagnostics.

Then Look at NOTE 4--->Press HI TEMP key in this interval to clear customer error history. INTERVAL 20 in that chart is where you Press HI TEMP key to clear the error codes.

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10750907 - Rev B.pdf
    900 KB · Views: 29

tonyg

Premium Member
Jake, I will try this. I hear what you are saying, but why am i getting the 8-1 error?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have no clue why you are getting the error code 8-1 if its draining fine.

Jake