• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KDTM354EBS3 KitchenAid Dishwasher Circulation pump & self-destructing filter

ryanMcC

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTM354EBS3
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi, all. My initial issue is that the washer fills & drains fine, but the circulation pump does not run.

I disassembled the pump to find that the filter inside is torn to shreds, and have since found on this forum that this is a pretty common occurrence. My questions are:
  1. Several threads have advice to check/replace that filter if the circulation pump doesn't run. I'm confused by this, since once the filter has self-destructed and jammed the motor, what good is replacing the filter going to do?
  2. Before disassembly, when the pump was being activated, I heard clicks but no hum of a jammed motor. I imagine this indicates that the motor is dead rather than just jammed, and needs to be replaced regardless of question #1. Is that probably true?
  3. The p/n on my pump is W10772008. Is W10902589 the correct replacement? I'm pretty sure it is, but the official kitchenaid parts site seems to think my model number doesn't exist so I wanted to verify.
Many thanks for any input.
-Ryan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Ryan,

On these models there has been a problem with the pump filter breaking and jamming up the wash motor.

Mike took lots of photos and documented them here:

Here's that pump filter you can order if needed:
Pump Filter W11084156

If not in-stock at RepairClinic, It's also here: W11084156

If the pump filter is fine, I'd next use a multimeter to check for 120 volts at the wash motor after it fills and should be running, if you get 120 volts and the wash motor is not running, then the wash motor is bad.

Is W10902589 the correct replacement?
Yes, that is the wash motor for your model:
Circulation Pump W10902589

Here's the video:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

ryanMcC

Premium Member
Hi, Jake. Thanks so much for the reply! Before I posted, I did disassemble the pump and found the filter to be shredded. My question #1 relates to the advice you gave in your reply that I saw in other threads: If the filter is indeed bad (as mine is known to be), to the point where it has jammed up the wash motor and the pump no longer functions at all, is it really possible that replacing just the filter will somehow revive the pump? I'd love to replace just the filter and not the whole pump, but I'm trying to understand how replacing the filter alone could help in this scenario.

Or is the idea that, if the pump is not turning on due to some other problem (control panel e.g.), then it definitely also needs a new filter before addressing that?

Thanks,
Ryan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
. My question #1 relates to the advice you gave in your reply that I saw in other threads: If the filter is indeed bad (as mine is known to be), to the point where it has jammed up the wash motor and the pump no longer functions at all, is it really possible that replacing just the filter will somehow revive the pump?

Or is the idea that, if the pump is not turning on due to some other problem (control panel e.g.), then it definitely also needs a new filter before addressing that?
That I don't know Ryan, I've not run into one on my service calls that has shredded that filter before.

Hopefully another tech. or member can answer that for you.

Jake

petrelline

Premium Member
Hi, I'm chiming in late in this thread but I thought I'd comment to help with google searches: we had the identical KitchenAid dishwasher and the identical problem: the filter shredded itself and prevented the pump from running right. The initial symptoms were poor cleaning (leaving debris on dishes) and then lack of any cleaning at all accompanied by a fairly terrifying grinding noise. Pulling the dishwasher to replace the filter was a huge PITA but once the new filter was in all the problems cleared up altogether -- the pump still works fine, the dishwasher is cleaning well again. Kudos again to applicance blog forums for having the solution and the parts, y'all are great. (y)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @petrelline glad to hear that new filter fixed it for your dishwasher too.(y)

Thanks for letting us know!

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for letting us know!

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.