• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KDTM354ESS0 KitchenAid Dishwasher Incompatible dishwasher filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattbennett

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTM354ESS0
Brand
KitchenAid
I have a ~5 year old KitchenAid dishwasher on which the filter has broken twice. The filter is part of the circulation pump and not meant to be replaced or cleaned. The filter has shredded itself twice since I've had this dishwasher.

The first time this happened, I replaced the entire pump assembly. The second time, I disassembled the pump and found the problem with the filter. I then took apart the original pump (which I had kept) and found that the original filter had failed in the same way. I ordered a new filter, based on the new part number. According to all of the parts vendors, the filter part number is W11084156, which replaced W10713298.

The new filter arrived and I tried to install it and found that it didn't fit. Note that BOTH of the failed filters I have are stamped with the original part number. The new filter (new part number) has a smaller flange at the bottom and does not fit properly into the pump housing. Note that ALL of the pictures I've found online of the NEW part number look exactly like the original part, with the wider flange.

I thought that the distributor had sent me the wrong part (even though the number on the bag was correct), so I coordinated with them to get a replacement sent. The replacement part looks exactly the same, so I am convinced that this is not human error. It seems like this new part number just doesn't fit my dishwasher, even though all of the resources I can find suggest that it should.

What gives? Did Whirlpool re-design the entire pump and this new filter will only fit the new pump assembly? The attached pictures show the old and new filters side by side as well as online pictures of the NEW filter part number, which looks exactly like the ORIGINAL part that I have, but not like the new part that I was sold. There are also pictures of how the new filter does not fit into the pump like the original filter did.

Attachments

• new_part.jpg
    new_part.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 337
  • original_part.jpg
    original_part.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 244
  • both_parts.jpg
    both_parts.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 268

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very odd.

Many people have successfully replaced that filter.

Pump Filter W11084156

Look here:

Look here: W11084156

Jake

mattbennett

Premium Member
I'm sure that is true, but I have two filters that both came in a bag labeled "Whirlpool Factory Certified" with the correct part number on the front of the bag, and neither of them looks like the broken filter I removed from the pump. The one shown in the other pose you linked looks exactly like the one I removed from the pump.

I'm left struggling to understand how to reconcile the fact that I've got the correct part number and the wrong part.

Attachments

• 20200914_214718.jpg
    20200914_214718.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 186

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That I can't answer, sorry.

Go to your local appliance parts store in your city, and see if they have one in stock and see if they can match it up.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The one from RepairClinic looks like a wider flange:

cosmoking

Premium Member
I have a ~5 year old KitchenAid dishwasher on which the filter has broken twice. The filter is part of the circulation pump and not meant to be replaced or cleaned. The filter has shredded itself twice since I've had this dishwasher.

The first time this happened, I replaced the entire pump assembly. The second time, I disassembled the pump and found the problem with the filter. I then took apart the original pump (which I had kept) and found that the original filter had failed in the same way. I ordered a new filter, based on the new part number. According to all of the parts vendors, the filter part number is W11084156, which replaced W10713298.

The new filter arrived and I tried to install it and found that it didn't fit. Note that BOTH of the failed filters I have are stamped with the original part number. The new filter (new part number) has a smaller flange at the bottom and does not fit properly into the pump housing. Note that ALL of the pictures I've found online of the NEW part number look exactly like the original part, with the wider flange.

I thought that the distributor had sent me the wrong part (even though the number on the bag was correct), so I coordinated with them to get a replacement sent. The replacement part looks exactly the same, so I am convinced that this is not human error. It seems like this new part number just doesn't fit my dishwasher, even though all of the resources I can find suggest that it should.

What gives? Did Whirlpool re-design the entire pump and this new filter will only fit the new pump assembly? The attached pictures show the old and new filters side by side as well as online pictures of the NEW filter part number, which looks exactly like the ORIGINAL part that I have, but not like the new part that I was sold. There are also pictures of how the new filter does not fit into the pump like the original filter did.
Hi Matt,

Can I buy one or both of these W11084156 filters off you? I think they will fit my pump and am finding the parts I need backordered everywhere.

I'm happy to pay a fair price and any shipping costs.

Best regards,
Cosmo

mattbennett

Premium Member
@cosmoking, Yes, I am happy to sell you one of the filters. Are you sure it will fit your D/W pump, though? It would be worth taking the pump apart to check which style you have.

I never did solve the mystery of why the "replacement" part number doesn't match the original part number, or match the pictures on all of the parts suppliers' websites. I eventually gave up and bought a whole new pump assembly, which has the exact same markings and part numbers as both of the pumps I've already replaced. I figured that maybe the whole pump design had changed (and maybe it has), but I can't validate that assumption. Even if my hypothesis is correct, I think that the distributors are selling all parts with "compatible" part numbers as if they are the same, even if the design has changed.

Sorry for venting, navigating the hell that is Whirlpool's part numbering "system" has been very frustrating. Between the D/W and several of my other appliances, I will NEVER be buying Whirlpool again!

Let me know if you still want the filter and we can negotiate a price.

cosmoking

Premium Member
Hi Matt, my outer housing for the filter is ok, I just need to replace the filter mesh and the internal plastic housing (see pics) .

Would you mind sending me measurements of the following dimensions (obviously mine are broken, not good measurements), and I'll see if it would fit mine? I'm open to modifying the parts if needed, because due to Whirlpool backorders we're looking at a month without dishwasher otherwise, and my wife is getting displeased with my idea to fix this!

Attachments

• IMG_7528.jpeg
    IMG_7528.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_7527.jpeg
    IMG_7527.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_7526.jpeg
    IMG_7526.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_7525.jpeg
    IMG_7525.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 182

Robstar

Premium Member
Hi! Same problem here as this thread and the earlier[1] one. My filter housing looks exactly like mattbennett's "original_part.jpg". I've ordered a replacement, but now i'm worried that Whirlpool has screwed us all over by changing the design without changing the part number.

Any advice? If i have to spend the absurd $400 for the motor and pump, i guess i will, but i'd rather not waste $50 and 3 weeks before falling back to that plan. It's a little tempting to order all the parts of "W10902589" (pump+motor that aren't in "W10907617" (just motor)

Maybe it's better to spend $750 on a model with a chopper? Like the Maytag recommended in [2]? (EDIT: Gosh, that circulation pump assembly[3] looks familiar... probably the exact same garbage inside, huh.)

[1] https://www.applianceblog.com/mainf...hwasher-circulation-pump-not-coming-on.76012/
[2] https://www.applianceblog.com/mainf...the-same-failing-filter-as-ldtm354dss5.80885/
[3] https://www.lowes.com/pd/Maytag-50-...24-in-Actual-23-875-in-ENERGY-STAR/1000551585

Attachments

• shredded_basket.jpg
    shredded_basket.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 124

cosmoking

Premium Member
@Robstar,

I just went through a successful repair after getting spare filters from Matt and replacing the internals even though his part number for the filter kit changed and the filter housing size differed from mine. My dishwasher was KitchenAid model KDTM354DSS4 and the pump is part number W10772008. Like Matt, my original filter kit was part number W10713298 and the replacement was W11084156 which was a smaller flange.

Here are some pictures of my repair. I've done about 10 loads of dishes so far post repair with no issues. Super quiet operation and clean dishes again!

Pictures:

My original (W107132978) Filter Kit with the 3.266" flange

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 5.45.12 PM.png

The new filter kit (W11084156) with 2.8" flange
Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 5.45.24 PM.png

My old filter kit and new filter kit exploded side by side.
Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 5.44.04 PM.png

My hybrid assembly reusing my old filter housing and the new metal filter element:
Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 5.45.57 PM.png

It was a pretty easy repair once I had the parts and I'm happy to answer any questions!

Regards,
Cosmo

Robstar

Premium Member
I just went through a successful repair after getting spare filters from Matt and replacing the internals even though his part number for the filter kit changed and the filter housing size differed from mine. My dishwasher was KitchenAid model KDTM354DSS4 and the pump is part number W10772008. Like Matt, my original filter kit was part number W10713298 and the replacement was W11084156 which was a smaller flange.

Here are some pictures of my repair. I've done about 10 loads of dishes so far post repair with no issues. Super quiet operation and clean dishes again!

Thanks!! As long as it all closes up right and the spinning gasket on the motor mates with the three-tabbed filter basket, i guess it should work fine, because the only moving parts in all of this are that gasket and the basket, right? :)

My machine is a KDTM354DSS3

I placed an order with partadvantage.com b/c they had a good price and their site said it was in-stock, but i got a follow-up email from them saying "this part is on a factory back order. Whirlpool is expecting this in around 12/01/20." So... we'll see. If i find one elsewhere before they ship, i'll cancel that, but i'm not getting my hopes up. Seems to be on back-order everywhere.

Will post pics when it arrives!

Robstar

Premium Member
(Fwiw, i _did_ test that my motor still spins when fed 120VAC -- that is, it hasn't burned up from the stress of sitting stalled. :) )

Robstar

Premium Member
Following up for anyone interested -- i received my replacement spinny filter assembly. it looked _exactly_ like my original one:
filter1.jpg

filter2.jpg

installation went well and we're washing dishes again. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.