• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KDTM354ESS2 KitchenAid Dishwasher Not cleaning - not circulating water during any cycle

lobi

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTM354ESS2
Brand
KitchenAid
We have a 3.5 year old Kitchenaid Dishwasher model KDTM354ESS2.

First sign was dishes were not coming clean. They weren't even wet. We did a bunch of diagnosis steps
  1. Cleaned all the sprayers, no change
  2. Opened the base and cleaned filter and insides, no change
  3. Cleaned turbidity sensor - it had gunk all over it, no change
  4. Looked at diagnostics code - the codes mapped to no water, but it was filling.
  5. Noticed steps - drain, fill, heat, no water coming through sprayer
  6. Narrowed down to RINSE ONLY step - drains ok, fills ok, is high enough, no spray
  7. Opened the bottom and looked at filter, (saw a lot of people mention it in this forum) and saw it looked like it exploded - see the picture below. Ordered new one W11084156, (About $95) and replaced and its still not circulating water.
  8. Sounds like its humming but not loudly. Honestly I don't know what it used to sound like because I never paid attention
  9. The circulation pump is Part: W10902589. (Its hard to find locally, but seems doable online)
  10. I'd like to know how to test the circulation pump. Someone said test for 120 volts in another thread but I'm not sure how to and what exactly that means. I do have a multimeter. - Can someone give me baby steps to further diagnose and narrow down if we have to replace the circulation pump?
  11. Another note - I called Kitchen Aid and have a service call for Monday 4/22. What's annoying is that they will send someone, to DIAGNOSE for $120. THEN they will order the parts, and then come back! That's yet another week and likely more to get this done. They say they will pay for parts but not labor. Tried to call them today to discuss and they wouldn't budge. They transferred me to "supervisor" but after 1/2 hour I gave up on the all. Sigh.
    I'm frustrated that its only 3.5 years old and seems to be a very common problem. I never expected this from KA. Our last one lasted 17 years with minor problems.
Summary: Spray arms not circulating water
  1. What I need is help making sure we have diagnosed it correctly with baby steps to do so. (See 10 above)
    1. Is it the circulation pump? Can it be anything else?
    2. What the next steps to diagnosis so I can order parts easily?
  2. Is there a motor only part or other combo parts that are cheaper and easier to find?

Need to get it fixed NOW. We use it 1-2x a day since pandemic.

1616093407624.png

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, as you mentioned, many others are finding that filter screen exploding as well. KA needs to use better quality material to make that filter screen. I'm hoping they did when you order the replacement. The good news is they likely did, as I haven't seen anyone come here to say the replacement filter screen failed again.

For the wash motor not running--->I'd first use a multimeter to check for 120 volts at the wash motor after it fills and should be running, if you get 120 volts and the wash motor is not running, then the wash motor is bad, or you have something blocking the wash motor from turning, maybe a piece of that metal from the filter screen is caught in the motor impeller.

Here's the wash motor assembly(which includes the new filter screen already installed for you) for your model:
Circulation Pump W10902589

Here's the video:

Jake

lobi

Premium Member
Thank you - i've seen this hint before but how do I reach the points to test after it fills?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Just disconnect the electrical connector to the wash motor, you may need to pull your dishwasher out a little to get access to it.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, If you have enough slack in your water line to your dishwasher, and enough slack in the electrical to the dishwasher, and enough slack in your drain hose.

Jake