• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KDTM354ESS2 KitchenAid Dishwasher Occasionally runs without water

flamingvan@gmai

Premium Member
I'll try calling them myself. I replaced the drain pump. That wasn't the problem but the part was pretty cheap. I took the door off and checked the resistance of all the circuits. The one that was off was the wax motor for the soap dispenser. It was only 280. I think it's possible that this is the problem but I don't know if I want to spend $100 for a new dispenser to find out.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its best to call them at this point. This is very rare to ever see happen.

Jake

flamingvan@gmai

Premium Member
Somebody from Appliance Parts Pros recommended that I test the voltage to the inlet valve at the control board pins and I found some interesting results. When I took the door panel off and connected my volt meter the dishwasher worked perfectly several times in a row (obviously there were 120 volts). When I put the door panel back on I reinstalled one of the top center screws and tested again. No water. I then went back and forth testing. No door: water on. Door on without screws: water on. etc. Finally I ended up with no top center screws and everything else screwed in loosely. Right now it seems to be working.

I suppose that perhaps the door panel is interfering with the inlet valve wires or this has something to do with the door latch. I guess I'll tackle one and then the other. I'll replace the door latch and if that doesn't work I'll rewire the inlet valve. It's too bad I can't test the voltage at the control with the panel on!

I also replaced the turbidity sensor today. That didn't do anything for the water but I've had an 8-2 error (drain pump) for a long time and now that's gone.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That is Possibly the door latch switch is starting to fail.

1. Open and close door, and then press Start/Resume key.
2. Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power.
3. Measure resistance of door switch contacts while checking mechanical operation of latch assembly. Check for any cracks or broken plastic on the door latch switch.

Lets first check the door switch. Check the resistance of the door switch with a multimeter. Should be less than one ohm. High ohms=bad switch.

Here's the door latch switch assembly for your model you can order if yours is bad:
Door Latch WPW10653840

There is a video in the door latch switch part link that shows you how to remove it and replace it.

Jake

flamingvan@gmai

Premium Member
Jake, I finally found the problem. It was one of the wires to the inlet valve. They melted it into some sort of tarry substance. I touched it and it just fell apart. With the door panel off it worked perfectly so all my troubleshooting went to waste.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good find.(y)

See, that is something I had never seen happen before.:eek:

Thanks for the update!

Jake