• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KDTM354ESS3 KitchenAid Dishwasher not draining. Error F6 E4, F8 E2

trj

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTM354ESS3
Brand
KitchenAid
Our dishwasher is a little more than 3 years old. We are not heavy users, just two of us and we always rinse food off the plates before loading it in the dishwasher.
Initially, it started with some water left over at the bottom of the dishwasher after the normal wash cycle every time. We just pressed the drain button and it would worked. We never thought anything of it.
After some months, the drain button trick was only working sometimes. We would have to open the door and shut it, a couple of times pressing the drain button each time, before we could hear the drain pump run.
Now, even it stopped working. Thinking if it was something stuck on the pump, I removed the drain pump, checked for any blockage. Everthing seems fine. Blow through the drain hose (its connected to the sink drain line and not the garbage disposal), and it looks like its not blocked either. Reassembled everything and it worked for a couple of times. And the drain pump stopped running again.
Till now, I didnt realize there was a diagnostic mode. Found it in this site and ran it. The codes are F6 E4 and F8 E2. Figured it could be drain pump and float switch. Yesterday, I removed the drain pump again and float switch covers and reconnected it. I can hear the relay click when I move the plastic float inside the dishwasher, and after reconnecting the drain pump, it started draining again.
Today, its not draining and the open/shut door did the trick to get the pump running again. Still getting the same errors.

I am not sure what could be wrong, because the problem is intermittent and progressively gotten worst.

The drain pump part number in the dishwasher is W10758882. Is this the correct part? or is there a newer part number that is improved?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes usually the cause of the drain pump working intermittently is the drain pump itself is faulty.

To Verify that--->You will need to stay at the dishwasher and when it doesn't drain you will need to check for 120 volts at the drain pump.

You will need to remove the electrical connector from the drain pump and get a multimeter and set it on AC Volts, then put your meter leads in the drain pump electrical connector that you remove from the drain pump, then WHEN IT SHOULD BE DRAINING see if your meter reads 120 volts. If so, and the drain pump is not running, then your drain pump is bad.

The manufacturer has replaced part number W10758882 with part number W10914557.

Here's the drain pump for your model:
Drain Pump W10914557

Let us know what you find.

Jake

trj

Premium Member
^Thanks.
I will order the drain pump in any case. I will try and see if I can reach the terminals that drain pump connects to the dishwasher without removing the whole unit out of the cabinet and check for 120 volts.

About the F6 E4 code, would you suggest replacing the relay too? I hear the relay click when I pull the float piece out, so I am guessing its just not sitting in place because of the water not draining? May be :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.