• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KDTM404ESS3 Dead Mid Cycle then turns on later.

finnimus

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTM404ESS3
Brand
KitchenAid
Issue started a few days ago. Thought we forgot to turn on the dishwasher. Later realized it shuts down mid cycle. Unit is about 2 years old.

Dishwasher will run like normal and then stop mid-cycle. Control panel dead, no lights, no button feedback.

Attempts to diagnose:
1. Verified power to unit at the outlet.
2. Removed bottom cover and verified power coming into machine
3. Turned off breaker, removed front cover, turned on breaker and verified power at control board.
4. Verified all wires pushed in place.
5. Removed front cover, disconnected keypad, replaced front cover, closed unit. No response from unit. Read this online to see if it is a control board issue or a touch pad issue. Was told motor would start for 2 minutes if it was a control pad short.
6. Shut off at breaker for 5 mins.
7. One odd thing I noticed, and could be user error-- I have a non-contact voltage tester. When keypad was dead and there was power to the unit, it sensed power all around the control panel and in the wires. Then randomly it stopped. That's when I noticed the keypad turned back on. With the keypad on, only the black wire set off the non-contact tester.

Behavior: Machine will stop in the middle of a cycle. Keypad dead. No sounds from buttons, no lights. Just like if the machine was unplugged. Last time I opened up the dishwasher and there was dirty water in the bottom. Hot steam came out when I opened the door.

I turned off the breaker, waited 5 minutes and then turned it back on. Still no response from the machine. Then randomly it turned on. Front blue light was blinking, 2:27 on the screen for time left, start button blinking. Wife says other times it has stopped mid cycle and come back on 2:27 is on the screen. Pressed start button, closed door, unit started for about 5 seconds and then shut off. Again, no response after shut off. Again, machine turned on after about 15 minutes on its own. Pressed start button, ran for about 20 seconds and went dead. Multiple attempts at starting with very short durations before shut down.

Continued to fiddle. Now machine is running from the 2:27 mark.

Any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, it sounds like your control board is malfunctioning. Check your owners manual warranty, most KitchenAid dishwashers have a 5 year warranty on the control board.

Here's the control board for your model:

Jake

finnimus

Premium Member
Thank you. I don't know if this means anything, but it has done two successful loads now, with no changes. I did notice a new tapping/thumping sound coming from underneath. Probably heard it for 5 minutes during the entire 2+ hour cycle. I opened the door to make sure the rotating arms weren't hitting anything and I couldn't find an issue. It sounds and feels like (used my hand to try and find the vibration) that it's coming from a white housing in the center of the unit, possibly the arm drive motor?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Could be the wash motor.

After it fills does the wash motor come ON? Then do you start hearing water splashing in the tub?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did KitchenAid send you the new control board for free?

What do you mean died during diagnostics? Where did it die at? How many minutes into diagnostics did it die.

The normal diagnostics cycle will run about 23 minutes, then all the lights shut off.

Jake

finnimus

Premium Member
KitchenAid replied and said it would not send a new control board unless I had their tech come out and review the issue. I purchased it through the link you provided.

I installed the control board and it fired up. I ran a diagnostic by pressing three buttons in a series 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3. While doing the diagnostic process it shut off and went dead. Buttons would not respond again. I was unable to tell where it stopped but I can say it was early and that it wasn't "washing" for long. Went through variations of shutting the breaker off/on. Pulled the plug and tried another outlet. Verified power was coming through the cord and that both outlets were good. Immediately after switching outlets the display came alive. It showed a "tracing/chasing" circular pattern on the display. Then it went dead again and wouldn't respond to button pushes. Put the cord back in the original outlet.

Later on in the evening it fired up again on its own and now has functioned for 5-6 loads. I have no confidence it will stay working. It did this in a series a few days ago only to shut down again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very odd, ok keep using it and see what happens.

If it keeps happening check the cable from the control panel to the control board. Also check the wire nuts behind the junction box where your main power connects to the dishwasher and see if those wire nuts are loose.

The metal junction box where the wire nuts are at is #20 here:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When the wash motor starts going bad, it may not come on at all after it fills, or it may run a little while, but then goes silent in the middle of the cycle when it should be running.

You should ALWAYS hear water splashing and sloshing around in the tub when the wash motor is running too.:)

Here it is for your model:
Circulation Pump W10902589

Here's the video in case you ever need to replace it:

But I found the complete sump pump motor assembly for a lower price and in-stock here: W10861526 PUMP&MOTOR

Jake

finnimus

Premium Member
Sorry for abandoning the thread. It looks/sounds like the wash motor is working fine. Have video from inside the unit with water spraying all over the place at what seems to be a reasonable rate. I can hear water moving in the tub. The unit has not shut down and become non-responsive in a while.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, thanks for the update!

Jake