• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KDTM404ESS3 KitchenAid Dishwasher not draining

dwipper

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTM404ESS3
Brand
KitchenAid
My 2 year old Kitchenaid dishwasher won't drain, although the cycle completes. This even happens with the "Rinse Only" cycle.

I've run the diagnostics and no errors. Once the unit cools down, I can hit Cancel (Drain), and it will drain, so no problems with the pump or drain hose. I replaced the float switch and that didn't help. I replaced the controller board, that didn't help. It is interesting that if the unit is hot, the Cancel (Drain) won't work.

Any thoughts on a next step would be greatly appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, it sounds like possibly the drain pump is working intermittently. You will need to stay at the dishwasher and when it doesn't drain you will need to check for 120 volts at the drain pump.

You will need to remove the electrical connector from the drain pump and get a multimeter and set it on AC Volts, then put your meter leads in the drain pump electrical connector that you remove from the drain pump, then WHEN IT SHOULD BE DRAINING see if your meter reads 120 volts. If so, and the drain pump is not running, then your drain pump is bad.

Here's the drain pump for your model:
Drain Pump W10914557

Jake

dwipper

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for the troubleshooting idea. Maybe that explains why it won't drain when the unit is hot, but it will drain when the unit is cool, i.e. the pump motor is being affected by the heat. I have a multimeter, so will give this a shot.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake