• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KDTM404ESS3 KitchenAid Dishwasher Spray Arms Do Not Rotate

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvsun100

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTM404ESS3
Brand
KitchenAid
I have a KitchenAid dishwasher that has worked as a champ but now has dirty dishes from the lower rack (top rack dishes are fine) starting earlier this week.

I removed the lower spray arm, cleaned it (lots of gunk that had got into this) and put this back in the dishwasher. Unfortunately this did not fix it and I get an F9E4 diagnostic error. I then put a little camera inside the dishwasher and confirmed this was fixed but unfortunately the spray arm refuses to rotate and dishes are still dirty: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhIseeHWJgJSkNFAFoi-idWFUCEPBA?e=4RR7Sz

I searched this forum and saw another post exactly describe this issue:

I've gone ahead and placed an order for the lower spray arm.

Now I wonder if I also need to purchase the diverter motor unit that powers this spray arm that this prior thread talks about? Could that be broken as well? Will be great to know as I can order that as well on repairclinic versus waiting another week to verify and get that new part ordered here.

Thanks in advance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Like I mentioned in post #11 of that other thread:
Either that or the diverter motor/lower spray arm motor.

Here's the complete wash motor assembly which includes the diverter motor/lower spray arm motor--->W10861526 PUMP&MOTOR

--->On Page 6-16 in the service manual it tells you how to test the lower spray arm motor.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Yes, keep us posted.

Jake

luvsun100

Premium Member
Lower spray arm and diverter motor both replaced! Looks like I also needed to replace a small O-ring that was attached to the spindle on the diverter motor. Dishwasher runs well now.

But I have a new problem.

It looks like the lower spray arm is occasionally hitting against the lower rack rails and I can hear a clicking noise when it is unable to turn. Sometimes it is able to free itself but one other time, I needed to open the door and help it get unstuck.

Is this a known issue? Not sure what has caused this to happen - I replaced lower spray arm with an original part.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Not sure what has caused this to happen - I replaced lower spray arm with an original part.
What does original part mean? You have use the OEM lower spray arm assembly.

Here's the OEM lower spray arm assembly for your model:
Lower Wash Arm W10860176

Video included in part link.

Jake

luvsun100

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Worried as when the tech replaced the lower arm and diverter motor (all OEM parts), he noticed a leak from the diverter motor that he fixed with replacing the o-ring. Now this new noise has started since then.

Any ideas?

luvsun100

Premium Member
I found the issue. This lower spray arm eventually comes out loose and starts to hit against the side rails. That is causing this particular noise and some of the dishes staying dirty. There is this small gear that is rotating the lower spray arm - is that connected to the diverter motor spindle? Do you think the gear teeth have worn out and that is the reason for the lower spray arm to eventually come off? I retightened and checked but looks like this spray arm continues to come off in the run cycle, it does not fall off but dangles loosely and easily comes out when lifted.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

luvsun100

Premium Member
Excellent, this was the cause. Looks like I had just placed it without turning the nut and it became loose with the machine run. Thanks for the pointer, all works well now - I was this close to giving up and moving to a different brand, loved the help here!

Smullen

Premium Member
Going to piggyback on this post as I have a quick question that I don't want to start a separate topic for -- is the larger of the 3 heads supposed to spin during operation, or is it fixed in place?

luvsun100

Premium Member
Going to piggyback on this post as I have a quick question that I don't want to start a separate topic for -- is the larger of the 3 heads supposed to spin during operation, or is it fixed in place?
Yes, there are 2 heads with gears that rotate on the lower arm spray - the larger head (corner arm) and the soaking arm will rotate while the scrubbing arm does not have a gear and is fixed.

1603501947472.png

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, this was the cause. Looks like I had just placed it without turning the nut and it became loose with the machine run. Thanks for the pointer, all works well now - I was this close to giving up and moving to a different brand, loved the help here!
Sounds good, glad that was all it was.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.