• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KDTM404KPS does it have the same failing filter as LDTM354DSS5?

HoboMiles

Model Number
KDTM404KPS
Brand
KitchenAid
We had an older model dishwasher (LDTM354DSS5) that had that problem with the filter that gets all smashed up inside the pump. Long story short, after trying to fix it and failing, we are just going to get a new dishwasher. We were looking at this dishwasher:

KDTM404KPS​

But it kinda looks like it has the same part as our other dishwasher. At home depot it has amazing reviews, so it seems weird that more people aren't reporting this issue. But maybe they somehow fixed it in this model. I was looking at this diagram:
KDTM404KPS0.jpg

Mark

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Correct, almost identical to your old one with that same flemsey wash motor filter that breaks to easy.

Its best to get the much more reliable Maytag, which I own:

You get a much better and stronger wash motor assembly:

Jake

Robstar

Premium Member
Correct, almost identical to your old one with that same flemsey wash motor filter that breaks to easy.

Its best to get the much more reliable Maytag, which I own:

You get a much better and stronger wash motor assembly:

Jake

Looking at the picture on Lowe's page[1] for the Maytag #MDB4949SHZ , there's a _VERY_ familiar-looking image of a recirculation motor+pump assembly... Is that just Lowe's' mistake or is it built around the same Whirlpool plumbing?

--Rob*

[1] https://www.lowes.com/pd/Maytag-50-...24-in-Actual-23-875-in-ENERGY-STAR/1000551585

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 2.34.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 2.34.57 PM.png
    397.4 KB · Views: 55

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rob, that's the much stronger motor which I have in my Maytag, NOT the flemsey one with the filter that breaks apart easy.

Jake

Robstar

Premium Member
Ah. Got it. They're both made from Whirlpool parts, so the style of the housing is similar, even though the inner workings of the pumps differ significantly. The Maytag's W10618403[1] is shorter than the Kitchenaid's W10708008[2] and the Maytag's outlet to the elbow is slightly angled. For comparison, what does the nameplate on the Maytag's motor say? Here's a pic from the Kitchenaid's W10464690 motor -- 0.18 HP, 3400 RPM:

Attachments

• kitchenaid_nameplate.jpg
    kitchenaid_nameplate.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 57

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Whirlpool Owns Maytag and KitchenAid.:)

Just like GM owns Chevy, Buick, GMC.:)

But what I'm saying is the stronger Maytag motor is much more reliable.
'
Your asking me questions I don't know the answers to, I'm a repair tech, not a engineer.:)

Jake

Robstar

Premium Member
Your knowledge and experience on all of this is great -- thanks for sharing it! I was just confused by how similar the Maytag motor looked :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Rob.(y)

Jake