• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KDTM704ESS1 heating element bent. can it be bent back?

Dan-H

Premium Member
Model Number
KDTM704ESS1
Brand
KitchenAid
I presume I need to replace the element, yet I'm surprised it is deformed as much as it is.

I'll try to post a pic.

The lower spray arm seems to be catching on the heating element.

I'm also not able to remove the spray arm. There is a thread that covers it, yet it is not working on mine.

20230113_130814.jpg

Added complete model number

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the whirlpool brand element worth double the cost of other branded elements?

Your missing the last digit in your model number. Read it from the model number tag located inside the door on the tub frame.

Here's the results I get:
KDTM704ESS1
KDTM704ESS2
KDTM704ESS3
KDTM704ESS4

Thanks!

Ok, yes I see it. Its best to order and replace the heating element at this point, its not safe to run it that warped like that, and I wouldn't try to bend it back in place, it may break.

Here's the heating element for your model:
Heating Element Assembly W10703867

Let us know how it goes.

I'm also not able to remove the spray arm. There is a thread that covers it, yet it is not working on mine.

20230113_130814.jpg

Just keep trying and you will get it off, you may need to use a little force to loosen that lower spray arm nut release.

Just keep trying and you will get it off, you may need to use a little force to loosen that lower spray arm nut release.

Thanks @Jake

The wash arm took a little motivating, yet it finally came off. Looking at the burn scars on the bottom of the wash arm It has been dragging on the element and it is damaged and splitting.

I'll be ordering both an element and the lower wash arm ( ouch, the wash arms are spendy)

Is there anything else should I be on the look out with this model to either clean or expect to have failed? I'm doing some reading but I thought I'd just ask if there are other failure points.

Last edited:
Wash arm is toast. Patched with welding wire. It's pretty ghetto. We'll see if it lasts a few days until the replacement arrives.

Copper coated MIG wire will probably rust. I'll keep an eye on it.

20230116_133930.jpg
20230116_134717.jpg
20230116_145341.jpg

The wash arm took a little motivating, yet it finally came off. Looking at the burn scars on the bottom of the wash arm It has been dragging on the element and it is damaged and splitting.

I'll be ordering both an element and the lower wash arm ( ouch, the wash arms are spendy)
Good job getting it to come off.(y)

Here's the lower spray arm assembly for your model, in case others need it too:
Lower Wash Arm W10860176

Is there anything else should I be on the look out with this model to either clean or expect to have failed? I'm doing some reading but I thought I'd just ask if there are other failure points.
Yes, unfortunately, and lets hope yours holds up good. On these models there has been a problem with the pump filter breaking and jamming, clogging up the wash motor, thus you will hear little to no water spray out the spray arms. But if there is plenty of water coming out the spray arm and your dishes are coming clean, then yours should be fine.

Mike took lots of photos and documented them here:

Here's that pump filter you can order if ever needed:
Pump Filter W11084156

If not in-stock at RepairClinic, It's also here: W11084156

Also look at this thread:

Thank you for the detailed reply. The dishes "generally clean". Recently I noticed an occasional dish or bowl not clean on the lower rack, and looking into this I found the warped element and the split wash arm.

Is there a way to test how much water is coming out the lower spray arm?

Is there a way to test how much water is coming out the lower spray arm?
Not that I'm aware of. Just by how its cleaning the dishes and silverware.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.
Back