• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KEBS207BSS00 Oven doesn't maintain temperature

Kelemvor

Premium Member
Model Number
KEBS207BSS00
Brand
KitchenAid
Howdy,

We have a KitchenAid double oven that won't maintain temperature when it's on. Here's the scenario.

I turn on the oven and set it to 350. The temperature readout will start with "Lo" and then eventually shows the temperature numbers as it heats up to 350. After it preheats I put in what I'm cooking. 25 minutes later, I press Cancel on the Oven and then immediately turn it right back on to 350. What *should* happen is the temperature readout should say 350 or something very close to it and then go right back up to 350. Instead, what happens is the readout will show a number far lower. I did it just now and after 25 minutes the readout was only showing 300 degrees.

The oven was purchased from Sears and we got the extended warranty which is still good until this fall. We've already had it looked at twice. I think they replaced a computer board the first time and a sensor (and maybe another board) the second time. It obviously hasn't helped.

So, my question is, is what my oven is doing considered normal? It certainly doesn't seem normal and it does seem like things take longer to cook than they should. If the oven is really cooking at 50 degrees lower than it says, that would explain why.

I'm going to place another service call on it and maybe the 3rd time is the charm. If not, I don't know if they'll offer to replace the oven, or if I can insist they do if the 3rd fix doesn't work? Are there still lemon laws?

Here's a video I took tonight to show the problem.

Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Good video.:)

It's not dropping the temperature when you do that, all that indicates is that it hasn't made it up to 350 yet, when you canceled it.:)

Do you have a oven thermometer?

The most accurate is the digital laser thermometer. Like this one: General Tools Laser Temperature Infrared Thermometer with 8:1 Spot Ratio, Maximum Temperature 608 Degree-IRT206

It does seem like your temperature maybe a little low, and if you look in your owners manual it should tell you how to raise and lower the set temperature.

Jake

Kelemvor

Premium Member
The oven had went through the preheat cycle and then been on for another 25+ minutes after that. I'm pretty sure it had been up to 350 at some point. It counts from 150 up to 350 during the preheat cycle so you can see what temperature it's at.

I do have access to one of the laser thermometer things. I tried it once but didn't really know where to aim it. The floor of the oven will be very hot since the heating elements are under there. Do I just put an empty pan in the oven and shoot the thermometer at that? Not sure of the most accurate way to do that.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I do have access to one of the laser thermometer things. I tried it once but didn't really know where to aim it.
Aim it anywhere in the oven, it doesn't matter.:)

Do I just put an empty pan in the oven and shoot the thermometer at that?
It doesn't matter, just in the oven, that's all.:)

The oven had went through the preheat cycle and then been on for another 25+ minutes after that.
In the video I thought the countdown was the preheat, but I looked at the video again and it said start time 9:28, you are using timed bake?

If you use normal bake it will countdown from the preheat too, then beep when preheat is done? That's what my Maytag oven does.

Jake

Kelemvor

Premium Member
The 9:28 is the time that the oven finished pre-heating and got to the temperature I set. I guess in case you leave the room when it beeps it puts the time on there so you know. Or maybe it's so that if you put food in right when it's done preheating and forget to set a timer, you have the time as a reference. No idea really.

I forgot to bring the thermometer home from work so I'll see if I can play with it a bit tomorrow.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

Kelemvor

Premium Member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I see that.

Try to adjust your temperature up 10 or 15 degrees. Look in your owner's manual it should tell you how to raise and lower the set temperature.

Jake