• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KEBS209BWH KitchenAid Oven acting weird - oven goes into indefinite pre-heat mode, and never regains temperature

lji1221

Premium Member
Model Number
KEBS209BWH
Brand
KitchenAid
Both ovens preheat to temp in reasonable timeframe. (10-15mins to 375). When I open one of the ovens, i.e. to insert cookie tray, that oven temp drops some. When I close the oven door, oven goes into indefinite pre-heat mode, and never regains temperature. Or at least oven doesn't think so.

Since oven does heat, I've ruled out element(s), especially since BOTH upper/lower do same think. Also TEMP SENSOR doesn't seem likely as BOTH ovens do reach initial temperature then stay there until I open one of the doors.

I'd sure appreciate any ideas on what to check and/or what is the likely part # at fault.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very odd, don't think I've seen one do that before.

Here's the parts diagram for your model:
Its either the clock oven control #2 or the Electronic Control Board(aka Appliance Manager) #3.

I did locate a service bulletin on this just now:
Concern: Oven stays in the Pre-Heat mode.
Cause: If the cooking set temperature is changed during the cooking cycle (pre-heat or main cooking) without pressing “CANCEL”, the oven will go into a prolonged preheat operation.
Correction: Instruct customer that if they want to make any temperature changes to a current cook cycle, they must first cancel the original settings (press “Cancel” key) and then reprogram a new bake cycle.

Jake

lji1221

Premium Member
Jake,
Thanks so much for the prompt response, as well as the service bulletin info. I'll double check the symptoms with the bulletin
info in mind, but I don't think the temperature was changed mid stream.

Do you have any additional ideas on what tests I can run to isolate the part number?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

On page 2 get into the diagnostics and check for a error code.

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10492435 - Rev A.pdf
    6.5 MB · Views: 77

lji1221

Premium Member
Wow! As they say be careful what you ask for. Lots of information here. I've read through it twice, and don't see
how the diagnostics could lead to a control board/clock board problem. I'll read through it again for sure and see
what I'm missing.

Really do appreciate the support. The boards are a bit pricey, so I'm hoping to narrow it don't to one.

Thanks again

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Just check for a error code.:)

If you get no error code, I'd replace the clock oven control board:

The appliance manager is mostly a relay board to turn the elements ON/OFF. The clock oven control board is the BRAIN that tells the appliance manager what to do.

Anything that acts weird comes from the BRAIN. LOL

Jake

lji1221

Premium Member
Quick update. I need to come clean - I'm trying to help out an elderly neighbor, so the symptoms may be suspect. Today I ran the diagnostics, and
they came back - GOOD. Seems the diags only are enabled from the UPPER oven. Tech sheet wasn't clear on that. Upper oven CANCEL, CANCEL, START reveal "GOOD".

I ran a couple of other tests. Set upper and lower to 350, both reached temp in about 12mins.
Opened upper door, about 15 secs, then closed - NO PREHEATING showed up. Oven never lost temp.
Repeated for lower, same result.
Did this for 375 as well as 400 - all seemed to work just fine ...

Then I tried to repeat the SERVICE BULLITEN issue you forwarded. Sure enough, if I changed the temp from 350, to 375 WITHOUT hitting CANCEL
the ovens NEVER got to the new temp. BOTH ovens did same thing. This was verified at 350 to 375, as well as 375 to 400. So Hmmm - I asked,
SO WHEN you opened one of the ovens, and you saw it go into PREHEAT mode indefinitely did you HAPPEN to change the temperature ????

She said, MAYBE ! I don't think the oven is baking as my old one did - so when something didn't appear cooked - tweaked up the temp.. She can't
confirm this was always the case, but my initial assessment was - there is nothing wrong with your oven.

I did confirm she has NEVER used the convection mode ! I explained how it heats more evenly, but she's pretty steadfast on her ways - I never had
convection, and my old oven worked just fine in the past.....

I'm going to do a temp calibration test using an oven thermometer. I'll check my home oven for a baseline, then repeat the test on her Kitchenaid. Either
she's overloading the cavity, or not using convection, or just believes it's DIFFERENT, therefore BROKEN is yet to be seen. I guess I'll have to cross that
bridge when I come to it.

I did run one additional test before I left. I set upper to 350, waited until it go there, then i entered TEST mode. It revealed the TEMP SENSOR was
reading something like 378 ??? Can't say this was a 'clean' test in that I had the oven up to 400, then shut everything down before I was ready to leave, then i realized i should have checked the diags for what the temp sensor read.

Anyway, temp calibration is my next step.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks!

That's about right.

Jeff explains it here:
GE says 75-100º swing is fine, most manufactures go for 50º swing....I like to see 25º each way.
EG: Set oven for 350ºF and it will heat up above 350 and shut off at 375....cools down to 325 and comes back on, but the average or mean temp is 350º.
If you read the oven temp on a thermometer, first couple of cycles will be way off until the liner and racks get up to temp and then it should level out.
To Test Oven Temperature
1. Place the weighted thermocouple probe in the center of the oven cavity, centered from front to back, top to bottom, and side to side.
2. Program the control for bake at a temperature setting of 350 degrees F.
3. Allow the oven to heat for at least 15 minutes or until the high and low temperature readings stabilize and become consistent.
Overshooting of the oven temperature occurs on the first cycle of the control because components have not reached operating temperature. Two (2) or three (3) full cycles are required before beginning a check of the oven temperature.
4. Calculate the average oven temperature. Add the high and low temperature reading peaks together and then divide by two (2).
EXAMPLE.
High Peak = 375
Low Peak = 325'
375 plus 325 = 700
700 divided by 2 = 350

Average oven temperature = 350'
Several readings should be taken to provide an accurate indication.
If the average oven temperature does not correspond to 350 degrees F., then Adjust the oven thermostat.
To Weight The Thermocouple:
A thermocouple can be weighted in one of two ways:
Two (2) one‑inch (1") squares of 1/16" thick aluminum can be clamped to the thermocouple tip.
A 5" x 8" piece of aluminum foil can attached to the thermocouple tip.
To Attach the Aluminum Foil:
Fold the foil five (5) times, doubling the thickness with each fold.
Place the thermocouple tip in the center of the aluminum piece and fold once more.
Fold the sides so that the foil clings to the thermocouple tip.

Jake

lji1221

Premium Member
Well, my temperature check experiment results weren't what I expected, or hoped for. Before I tested my neighbors oven I thought it best
to check my own first. I didn't have an 'official' thermocouple probe, but I do have a "ThermPro - TP-20" remote temp probe. I use it on
my meat smoker and it seems to correlate well with smokers lid gauge. In either case, here is what I measured on my GE Profile:

Wrapped probe tip with foil, 5x as per above recommendations: Set temp to 350.
When oven preheat was complete it measured - 390
after 10 minutes - 379
15 - 382
30 - 385
40 - 385
45 - 385

So, is my oven off, or does this seem reasonable? Not sure that checking my neighbors KitchenAid makes sense without some sort
of baseline. Can't assume that a 35 degree offset on my GE would apply to the Kitchenaid.

Thoughts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very odd, I don't know what else to suggest, sorry.

Its best at this point to contact KitchenAid at 1-800-422-1230 to come out and see what's going on.

Jake