• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KEHC309JSS4 KitchenAid - Microwave door latch doesn't lock fully - runs but doesn't cook


Premium Member
Nov 5, 2017
troy, mi
Model Number
More than 10 years
Hello all,

KitchenAid Micro/ Oven Combo - Microwave door latch doesn't lock fully - runs but doesn't cook

My wife and I bought a house a year ago and it has a house full of aging KitchenAid products. One in particular is a KitchenAid Superba micro/ oven combo built-in. The model# is KEHC309JSS4 and according to the previous owners records, it was registered in June of 2003.

We have noticed over the last few months that as we walk by the built-in, the light to the microwave is on. When we push the door shut again, the light goes off. As the weeks have passed and no fix was made, it has progressed to worse. What happens now is that when the microwave is in use, we notice nothing is really cooking. If we push on the microwave door, we notice an added sound. That sound, seems to be the heating mechanism and now the food starts cook.

We're hoping this is an easy fix but am very new to DIY appliance repair. I have to believe its a door latch assembly so I'm looking for some guidance.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Oct 9, 2004
It could be a problem with one of the 3 door interlock switches or their mounting. There is no simple fix someone can just tell you how to do. It will require investigation and then determination on what is required to correct it.

Right now it should be a fairly reasonable repair should you call a technician in to fix it for you. Putting off the repair could lead to more extensive damage resulting in more expensive repair.


Dan O.
The Appliance Information Site