• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KEMC308KSS04 Kitchen Aid Superba Microwave Door Error

tangohotel19

Premium Member
Model Number
KEMC308KSS04
Brand
KitchenAid
I have a Kitchen Aid Microwave Oven Combo wall unit. The microwave stopped working. When I first noticed an issue, I had opened the door and the light wasn't on. I then closed and tried to turn it on and got a "Door" message. I called a repairman who came and looked at the unit. When he first arrived and looked at the unit it was suddenly working again. Then he put a screwdriver into where the door would latch and it suddenly didn't work anymore. He took the unit out of the wall and determined a door switch needed to be replaced. The part was ordered and he came back and replaced all the door switches. It still didn't work. He said it was probably the control panel and probably happened when the switch broke and shorted. They couldn't find a new control panel so they sent mine off to be rebuilt. After six weeks he came back with a rebuilt control panel and installed it. It still didn't fix the issue. He said he doesn't know what is wrong with it and can't fix it and I should get a new unit. I have seen threads on here with a similar issue and it appears to possibly be a fuse issue. Before I spend several thousand dollars on a new unit, I'm wondering if I should call another repair technician to have the fuse replaced. Not sure I can manage replacing the fuse myself.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick is very good with Microwaves, but unfortunately he's out sick, but I located another thread that mentions its possibly the line fuse that's bad.

Here's that thread:

Make sure you disconnect power to the machine before accessing/replacing it.

Here's the line fuse for your model:

This video shows you how to ohm test it:

I couldn't find the exact video for your model to show you how to access/replace it, but these videos should hopefully give you the general idea:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

tangohotel19

Premium Member
I was able to speak to the original repairman. He says he replaced two fuses. One blew so he then replaced the door switches. When that didn't work he sent the control panel off to be rebuilt. That didn't work either. I'm just beside myself at the thought of spending $4,000 to replace this unit when half of it still works. I don't know if I should get another repairman out for a second opinion before I spend the money to replace it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't know if I should get another repairman out for a second opinion before I spend the money to replace it.
Usually when you contact KitchenAid at 1-800-422-1230 they will send a authorized tech to come out, and if the tech does not know the problem, the authorized KitchenAid tech has a special tech hotline to the factory that they can call from your house and the factory will assist him/her in finding the problem.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help, let us know what happens.

Jake

tangohotel19

Premium Member
Repairman came on Friday. First replaced the fuse on top of the microwave. That did not work. Then replaced fuse on the right back corner. That worked!! He was a KitchenAid certified repairman and was on the phone with KitchenAid technical support for a good portion of the repair work. He was very surprised the other repairman had me pay for a control panel rebuild. But SO happy it is working now. Thank you SO much for the suggestion of calling KitchenAid directly. I assumed since it was out of warranty there was no need to. Now I understand the benefit of this!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @tangohotel19 glad to hear that KitchenAid tech got it fixed for you.(y)

Did the tech. right the part number down for the right back corner fuse on your receipt? Is so can you please post it here? Thanks, that will help others too.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

tangohotel19

Premium Member
I don't see the part number for the fuse anywhere. However, it is the 15 amp fuse, not the 20 amp. I've taken a picture of the wiring schematic and he circled the fuse that was the issue. I've also put the fuse on the diagram so you could see a picture of it. Hope this helps someone else! The $375 I spent on a new control panel was completely unnecessary!

IMG_2894.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Russ Glines

Repairman came on Friday. First replaced the fuse on top of the microwave. That did not work. Then replaced fuse on the right back corner. That worked!! He was a KitchenAid certified repairman and was on the phone with KitchenAid technical support for a good portion of the repair work. He was very surprised the other repairman had me pay for a control panel rebuild. But SO happy it is working now. Thank you SO much for the suggestion of calling KitchenAid directly. I assumed since it was out of warranty there was no need to. Now I understand the benefit of this!
Just found this website and love it -- trying to find the 15A fuse in the back right corner -- can you give me a hint?

Thanks-

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you have the exact same model number as @tangohotel19 KEMC308KSS04 ? The model number tag should be located inside the door.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.