• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KEMS308SSS05 Microwave Convection Combo heating problem

chrislbs

Premium Member
Model Number
KEMS308SSS05
Brand
KitchenAid
We have a combo Oven-Microwave and the Microwave has Convection features.

The Microwave Convection was not used by the Owner in years 1-5. We bought in year 6 and started using the Convection feature in the Microwave.

When we set the heat up to 400-425, the preheat cycle does not complete. Sometimes when we set it to 350 it will not come to temperature. This sounds like a temperature sensor is having some problems. Is this something to try ourselves or is this a service call.

Could this be caused by low voltage? Everything else with the system seems to be fine.

Chris

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The upper oven is the microwave. The lower oven has the convection element and convection fan. What convection features does the microwave have?? I don't see any in the parts breakdown. The lower oven has the oven sensor. You'll need a meter to measure the resistance of the oven sensor. At room temperature the oven sensor should show around 1100 ohms.

chrislbs

Premium Member
KEMS308SSS05 has an easy convect function in the microwave as found on page 17 of the user manual. With the smaller space, convection can heat things nicely.

It is the microwave convection that seems to be temperamental.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, Let's make sure we're both working on the same machine. Make sure you're reading the model number off the model tag on the machine. You have the model number listed as a KEMS308. Your Kitchen Aid link is for a KEMS309. They are two different machines. Confirm your model number for me.

chrislbs

Premium Member
Microwave not the oven part

Now that I am on my desktop, I think I can make this clearer (and more verbose).

The 308SSS has an Oven below and a Microwave/Convection above. You shared the Oven guide, but if we look at the Microwave/Convection guide:
http://www.kitchenaid.com/digitalassets/KEMS308SSS/Microwave%20Use%20and%20Care_EN.pdf

You'll find the reference to Convection on page 17.

Given that you are a very experience repair guy, I am guessing this convection feature is a) not popular b) not being used by anyone c) all of the above.

OK, Let's make sure we're both working on the same machine. Make sure you're reading the model number off the model tag on the machine. You have the model number listed as a KEMS308. Your Kitchen Aid link is for a KEMS309. They are two different machines. Confirm your model number for me.
PS. I love the Murray Community Center off State Street at 5300 S. Played volleyball there on Friday nights for several years.

rickgburton

Staff member
I am guessing this convection feature is a) not popular b) not being used by anyone c) all of the above.
I wouldn't go as far as to say it's not being used by anyone but C. I've worked on several of these machines and it's never been an issue. I don't think there were that many that actually had that feature with a very similar model number. There should be a sensor on the broil element bracket. I couldn't locate it in the parts breakdown.

Measure the resistance of the oven sensor at room temperature.Make sure the meter is set to the correct scale R X 1K. At 68*F the sensor should have a resistance of 233K (233,300 ohms) to 366K (366,900) ohms.

PS. I love the Murray Community Center off State Street at 5300 S. Played volleyball there on Friday nights for several years.
When was the last time you seen the intersection at 53rd and State? I'm within walking distance on 56 and 3rd E. Small world!