• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

KEMS308SSS05 Oven/Microwave Combo - No Microwave Sound/Uneven Heating

vertigo88

Premium Member
Model Number
KEMS308SSS05
Brand
KitchenAid
Afternoon Folks,

When heating up food, I no longer have the signature microwave noise that comes from a microwave. It used to sound like a fan spinning.

Food is still heating up, but not as hot as before before. For example, water still get warm (I can put my finger into it without burning), but I can't pop popcorn. Also, when I microwave pasta, the bottom of the bowl gets hot, but the top is still cold.

Is this a magnetron issue? Or something more benign?

Thanks!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
See if this helps: https://www.facebook.com/ricksappliancerepair/videos/4436586865727/

Check the tube for any signs of overheating. Check the line filters. Here is a diagram:
KEMS308 LINE FILTERS.jpg

Visually inspect connectors CN701, CN702, CN703, and E701 on the microwave inverter board and check for signs of overheating, or any failures due to loose wires, bad crimping, etc.

vertigo88

Premium Member
Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply. I can't reach the link to your facebook video.

Would you be able to define the tube? Additionally, do you happen to have the technical service manual for this product?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Would you be able to define the tube?
A high voltage vacuum tube that uses two large magnets to create a magnetic field. The high direct current electrons interact and oscillate within the magnetic field. The oscillating electrons create "microwaves".

Instead of using a High Voltage transformer your machine uses a inverter. The appliance manager sends the signal voltage and supply voltage to the inverter. You can't measure the output voltage to the tube or signal voltage so the way to check it is a process of elimination. Usa an amp meter to measure the current when power level 10 is selected at the control board. If the current is higher than 0.5 Amps, the inverter is most likely ok