• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

FIXED KEMS378SSS05 Microwave buzzing

nathans

Premium Member
Model Number
KEMS378SSS05
Brand
KitchenAid
KEMS378SSS05 - Built-In Convection Microwave oven

This microwave is heating properly and functions as expected but has developed an annoying buzzing sound anytime the cooking is active or the fan is running after cooking has stopped.

When I push on the door handle I can alter the buzz and occasionally stop it. If I had to guess, it sounds like it's sourced from within the grill behind the door, slight left of center.

I have not been able to find anything obviously loose, and have tightened all screws available to me on the face/frame of the oven.

Cooking at 50% does not change the buzz at all.

Here is a sample:

Any ideas?! Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I couldn't tell from the video. It sounds like a vibration noise so it's just a matter of finding it.

nathans

Premium Member
Well, finally found some time to poke around inside and sure enough it was a vibration caused by these two blue components barely touching each other. Pushing one slightly away from the other instantly silenced the annoyance.

Thanks @rickgburton

Attachments